PDA

View Full Version : echo blows!!!!!!

bligh61
06-06-2005, 09:38 PM
Any opinions on echo weed wackers?

PLM-1
06-06-2005, 09:41 PM
They suck! Haven't had any of mine run well. I switched to Shindaiwa and will never go to anything else.

ChadA
06-06-2005, 09:46 PM
I bought a echo SRM210 from home cheapo last season and I have been very impressed with it. It gets used more than anything else and hasnt give me a problem yet. It was only $199. Its paid for itself many times over.
I probably won't buy another one. I just want a commercial grade trimmer. Im thinking of getting a Redmax.

bligh61
06-06-2005, 10:04 PM
does home depot carry the srm230 weed whip?

LightningLawns
06-06-2005, 10:07 PM
I bought my srm-230 from home depot last year and haven't had any problems with it. I think it was around 260.00

gl1200a
06-06-2005, 10:16 PM
You can get a new 260T for $299.00 at the dealer. I have all Echo and it never stops running. I've had my original SRM-2100 for ten years now and have never changed a plug on it or winterized it at the end of each year. It runs great and always has as all of my Echo equipment.

ed2hess
06-06-2005, 10:16 PM
We have not had any major problems with Echo models including the 230 which I consider a light duty trimmer. I like them because they are easier to work on than other brands that I have used. I have used Shindawa and Stihl and they are good also but I think the balance is good and vibration is low.

PLM-1
06-06-2005, 11:14 PM
You can get a new 260T for $299.00 at the dealer. I have all Echo and it never stops running. I've had my original SRM-2100 for ten years now and have never changed a plug on it or winterized it at the end of each year. It runs great and always has as all of my Echo equipment.

My 2100 is the worst of the two. I just got it back from getting a new carb and exhaust cleaned out again. Still doesn't idle or wind out. My other is the 260 and the exhaust keeps plugging up. I run it at full throttle as much as i can per the dealer. Maybe i just got 2 bad apples.

nelbuts
06-06-2005, 11:36 PM
First, there are a couple of reasons for the carbon build up on the exhaust port.

The first may be too much oil in the fuel. Second, trimmer line may be too long (that is what I do). Finally, not running full speed all the time.

If you are in this business you need to know how to clean exhaust ports with out damaging the piston or cylinder. It is simple and takes about five minutes. Can save you $20 or more each time.

Now as far as Echo go. I have several and like them all. Trimmers, hedge trimmers, BP blowers, and chainsaws. I have not been a fan of the redesign on the motor as far as protection from the sparkplug. I rest my forearm on the weedeater top so as to have more control. If I have to reach out with one arm it is easy to do for long periods of time. I wear a cut off sock on my forearm to protect it from burns.

Out side of that I like them fine. Of course I think the best weedeater ever made was 18 years ago and it was a Steele FS65 if I remember correctly. Back then it only had one line. When they discontinued them and made a new model I purchased 10 and kept them in boxes for several years. Other than that I am Echo all the way. Just like all my mowers are Scag as I just feel they are the toughest mower on the market.

polecat63
06-06-2005, 11:37 PM
I've used nothing but Echo trimmers for years now and have had great success with them. The 2100's I used in the past had a problem withthe exhaust clogging. Just clean them out once a month and remove the screen and they run for ever. I like the way they are balanced and they are lighter then other commercial brands.

PLM-1
06-07-2005, 12:00 AM
First, there are a couple of reasons for the carbon build up on the exhaust port.

The first may be too much oil in the fuel. Second, trimmer line may be too long (that is what I do). Finally, not running full speed all the time.

If you are in this business you need to know how to clean exhaust ports with out damaging the piston or cylinder. It is simple and takes about five minutes. Can save you $20 or more each time.

Now as far as Echo go. I have several and like them all. Trimmers, hedge trimmers, BP blowers, and chainsaws. I have not been a fan of the redesign on the motor as far as protection from the sparkplug. I rest my forearm on the weedeater top so as to have more control. If I have to reach out with one arm it is easy to do for long periods of time. I wear a cut off sock on my forearm to protect it from burns.

Out side of that I like them fine. Of course I think the best weedeater ever made was 18 years ago and it was a Steele FS65 if I remember correctly. Back then it only had one line. When they discontinued them and made a new model I purchased 10 and kept them in boxes for several years. Other than that I am Echo all the way. Just like all my mowers are Scag as I just feel they are the toughest mower on the market.

#1 I have ran anything from Echo mix 40:1, Shindy mix 50:1 and 100:1 Amsoil. It doesn't matter.

#2 I leave my guard on like everyone else should for saftey, so the line is at the correct length

#3 The spark arrestor came out when it came home on day one.

#4 I know how to clean the exhaust ports out. But i shouldn't have to do it every day.

BALDEAGLE
06-07-2005, 12:18 AM
been play'in this game a while now, ONLY ONCE, had a similar problem...
SPEND THE EXTRA BUCK, FOR QUALITY 2-CYCLE OIL. DON'T HAVE TO BE HIGH DOLLAR, JUST GOOD . used Husqvarna oil for years now,not cleaned a screen since...And in a bind...even had good luck with (shhhh, dont tell anyone.)castrol 2-stroke oil---(CHEAP!- TOO)...just my 2 cents.

BALDEAGLE
06-07-2005, 12:23 AM
#1 I have ran anything from Echo mix 40:1, Shindy mix 50:1 and 100:1 Amsoil. It doesn't matter.

#2 I leave my guard on like everyone else should for saftey, so the line is at the correct length

#4 I know how to clean the exhaust ports out. But i shouldn't have to do it every day.

must be another problem w/ that unit, i'd quess.

lawn_pro
06-07-2005, 12:28 AM
[QUOTE=PLM-1]#1 I have ran anything from Echo mix 40:1, Shindy mix 50:1 and 100:1 Amsoil. It doesn't matter.

#4 I know how to clean the exhaust ports out. But i shouldn't have to do it every day.[/QUOTE

No problems with Echo trimmers, blowers....40:1 Mix? make sure you didn't grap your crapsman mix by mistake..50:1 in our Echo trimmers all the time..no problems, ever. Actually our shindaiwa hedge trimmers have had more problems than anything.

BALDEAGLE
06-07-2005, 12:39 AM
I always run 40:1 in all 50:1 "toys"-(husq. - echo - redmax)...

thinking...I'd rather buy plugs, than toys...seldom buy a plug either, maybe it's just the HUSQY. 2-STROKE OIL?

MercyMe
06-07-2005, 12:40 AM
Have been using Echo products for years and they are great. I use the higher end trimmers SRM-260S and the big bad blowers PB-651 and have been very satisfied.

I believe that Echo is as good as anything else out there and at very resaonable prices (including parts)

lwcmattlifter
06-07-2005, 01:07 AM
Have been using Echo products for years and they are great. I use the higher end trimmers SRM-260S and the big bad blowers PB-651 and have been very satisfied.

I believe that Echo is as good as anything else out there and at very reasonable prices (including parts)
I agree, mine have always been reliable.

gunner27
06-07-2005, 01:41 AM
Echo is just as good as anything else. Go by dealer support.

dog245
06-07-2005, 01:45 AM
Echo products are great machines. As with any other brand you are going to have some problems. I use only Echo trimmers, blowers, edgers and saws. I have a 230 that has given me great performance for over 4 years. However, I have a split boom 260 that has been a real pain. It has one of those new factory adjusted carbs w/o the adjustment screws. It has a major low throttle problem so its all-out or nothing. When I purchase my next 2 cycle it will again be echo. As with the exhaust screen problem, I too had the same problem when I used another mix. Now only echo mix and no problems since.

QualityLawnCare4u
06-07-2005, 01:54 AM
I have 5 older pieces of echo equipment, 3 weedeaters and 2 hedge trimmers, been ok. I have a 3 month old 650BP in the shop right now waiting on a new carb and a edger I bought at the same time that does not run worth a s--t. I dont know what happened to their quality but when these go there will be no more Echo. My 650 has been in the shop over a week waiting on the carb and I really need it bad this week.

Lawn Sharks
06-07-2005, 07:54 AM

Would you be interested in posting a message with detailed instructions on cleaning ports? I do it myself but am not sure if I am doing it right.

Thanks! :blob3:

MercyMe
06-07-2005, 08:42 AM
I have 5 older pieces of echo equipment, 3 weedeaters and 2 hedge trimmers, been ok. I have a 3 month old 650BP in the shop right now waiting on a new carb and a edger I bought at the same time that does not run worth a s--t. I dont know what happened to their quality but when these go there will be no more Echo. My 650 has been in the shop over a week waiting on the carb and I really need it bad this week.

Sounds like a dealer problem to me. There is little chance that you got 2 bad pieces in a row. Echo doesn't make the carbs, they use the same ones most other manufacturers do.

Good luck!