PDA

View Full Version : Moving up to Zero Turn

Auchan
06-06-2005, 11:14 PM
I care for one large estate with moderately sloping land.

I have been using a lawn tractor (46" deck) and mowing some slopes. The lawn tractor just bit the dust. Now I want to upgrade to small zero turn mower. Is the Ferris 1500 (48" deck) a good choice for stepping up. The suspension system would be nice as I hit some rough ground.

Realistically, what kind of time savings should I expect and how much trouble will I have holding a stripe along a slope while I get used to hand controls.

Anyone out there use a Dixie Chopper? How do they compare.

I have good dealerships locally for Gravely, Ferris, John Deere and a smaller shop selling Dixie Chopper. The boss told me to find something around $5000.
Any thoughts?

ALarsh
06-07-2005, 12:01 AM
How large is the large estate?

Most commerical Z's will run you around $7000. Most important thing is dealer support.

Use this and you will be busy for months reading information: http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?

FLYonWALL9
06-07-2005, 12:19 AM
Auchan,
Although I don't have the 48 I do have a new 44 and can say the thing is killer. I have a very bad back and I do feel that the shocks help some. They can be adjusted like adjustable coil overs on cars but I haven't played with it.

The cut is great and the price for mine was only 5200. I would bet you could get into a 48 for no more than 6 if that much. I didn't even really haggle, just said I was paying cash and that was that. I can tell you side slopes are a pain but taking them up and down it doesn't miss a beat. I cut a hill that is UNREAL steep almost to the point where I need front end weight and it will go up as fast as it does on flat ground.

I cant say enough about my new Ferris.