PDA

View Full Version : Can I do this with doubles?

bart may
06-07-2005, 12:25 AM
I just bought a toro 52". I want to try doubles on it with all the rain, but I only have the set of blades that are on the mower. Can I put either 44's or 48's on the top and the original blades on the bottom? I'm thinking that there shouldn't be a problem with it, but thought I'd get some opionions first. thanks for any input.

dvmcmrhp52
06-07-2005, 12:34 AM
It won't hurt anything but all it will pretty much do is suck up horsepower with little advantage in cutting if any.
The tips of the blades do most of the work the workload decreases as you get closer to the spindle.

bart may
06-07-2005, 12:39 AM
I've just noticed that I get less clumping in the rain using doubles. I attribute this to the fact that there is an extra blade spinning to help break up the clumps as they fall from the deck and the air flow is moving around crazy. I usually only do it for the "clump reduction" factor.

Lawn-Scapes
06-07-2005, 12:41 AM
It won't hurt anything but all it will pretty much do is suck up horsepower with little advantage in cutting if any.
The tips of the blades do most of the work the workload decreases as you get closer to the spindle.

Dave, I don't think this is entirely correct. The blades on the bottom will do the initial cutting and the blades on top will cut the clipping into smaller pieces. Also, the clippings will disperse better.

And you create more lift... which is a good thing.

Lawn-Scapes
06-07-2005, 12:45 AM
Forgot to answer the original question..

Shouldn't be a problem as long as the bolt is long enough and it's same size hole.

dvmcmrhp52
06-07-2005, 12:49 AM
Dave, I don't think this is entirely correct. The blades on the bottom will do the initial cutting and the blades on top will cut the clipping into smaller pieces. Also, the clippings will disperse better.

After 2 years of running doubles exclusively on one machine, and going back to singles this season after the middle of may, on that same machine, the cut quality is better without them. yes, dispersal of wet clippings is degraded but overall the quality has improved with faster cut times under the same conditions on the same properties with singles versus doubles.

Just my experience with it............