PDA

View Full Version : Does LawnSite make you think to much?

gunner27
06-07-2005, 12:34 AM
I think this site is awesome! But sometimes I have to seperate myself from what is said on here. I hope some of the new guys take in acount we all live in differant parts of the country. Everything is differant from cost of living to what your market will pay for service to what equipent is needed. I know alot of you guys already know this, just a reminder for new members.

JimLewis
06-07-2005, 03:22 AM
Gunner,

New members? You are one of them, youngster. Apr. '04 wasn't that long ago on lawnsite in my book. Just kiddin' :D

No, you are right. That's always been one of the biggest problems here at lawnsite is that we rarely take into account the huge difference we all have. What works for me here in Suburban "cookie-cutter" "postage-stamp" lawns in rich Yuppyville, OR probably doesn't work at all for someone who mows with a 56" ZTR for old folks in the country in Arkansas. Two totally different worlds. Marketing, advertising, image, business methods, business models, etc. are all drastically different from one area to the next.

Very few things work from one area to the next. And you're right to point out that most people here at Lawnsite don't get that. It's probably the single biggest cause for all of the arguments, opposing opinions, etc. here at Lawnsite.

This thread is a good reminder for everyone - new or old.

MOW ED
06-07-2005, 08:51 AM
The admins, owner , programmer have taken a step in helping that in putting your location in with your post. As stated, you do have to use your noggin when it comes to some of the stuff here. I always look at the persons location under their name and consider my situation compared to what they are saying.
Its easy to say that in Alabama you can get a ZTR for 8000 and it costs me 10,000 here in Wisconsin. Or I make 1.00 a minute in the spring and charge 3.00 a minute for fall cleans. That may or may not even be true. But you are correct in the fact that you have to think alot.
Our grass types are also different. Cool season and warm season have very differnet qualities and then there is the transition zone. Different techniques, charges ect.
You have to be a businessman and know YOUR business. Its great to know what someone else might be doing but the bottom line is your bottom line. Are you profitable for what you are doing, irregardless of what anyone elsoe is doing. Good post.

packerbacker
06-07-2005, 08:54 AM
Try living in KCwhere you go from zoysia to fescue by stepping over a property line!

People from the east coast laughed at me when I told them $4.00 per thousand SQ ft and how I was getting over 100 bucks an acre. Its different all over the country.

DFW Area Landscaper
06-07-2005, 10:08 AM
Packerbacker,

I was talking to a Chemlawn tech earlier this winter about atrazine. He said working in the KC area sucked because some lawns were bermuda and some were fescue. He pulled the atrazine hose to treat a bermuda lawn in the back. The front lawn was fescue. A month later, there was a dead line in the front lawn where his atrazine soaked hose dragged across the fescue.

Talk about a pain in the azz.

An idiot can have a nice lawn with bermuda. It takes a lot of skill, know-how and equipment to grow a good looking fescue lawn. Just think about it: Fescue requires overseeding every year or even every spring and fall. Fescue will not tolerate drought. Fescue is prone to fungal problems. Fescue lawns need to be de-thatched. In bermuda land, we don't even know what de-thatching means. Fescue has to be aerated every year. Bermuda can grow just fine on the hardest clay around. It's nearly impossible to eradicate grassy weeds in fescue. Fescue looks best when striped. We don't even know what a striping kit is in the DFW area.

In my opinion, the annual lawn bill for a fescue or other cool season lawn should be about four times that of a bermuda lawn.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

Toy2
06-07-2005, 11:08 AM
Yes it does make you think to much...you wonder if you are doing things the right way....mowing.....edging...etc...21" work for me fine, HD 21".....but it might not work for someone else....trucks, bigger is better??? My Toy is fine, it looks sweet and pulls just fine, plus it's paid for....$$$, some are making it, others are not....I did not make as much last month as the month before....its the norm.....up and down.....I have yet to see a stripe in this town, thought i saw one at the local golf course///not sure....i go from St. Aug. to weeds in one day...did I need a 36"??? No, I should have had the customers first, then get the bigger equip. after that....life goes on!!!

The Captain
06-07-2005, 11:52 AM
Yes, this site and the member posts do make us think. Every post I read teaches me something. Good........or bad. Like school, the subject matter may not apply today, but the knowledge makes me a little wiser when the question or situation arises tomorrow. This is a great place to learn about turf management, phycology, finance, equipment maint. and thankfully enjoy some humor.

Thanks Sean, for having the site up and running and thanks to all you other members for your contributions........

Jim

tjgray
06-07-2005, 12:00 PM
I will second that Jim :)

Very well said. Great post :waving:

packerbacker
06-07-2005, 02:25 PM
Packerbacker,

I was talking to a Chemlawn tech earlier this winter about atrazine. He said working in the KC area sucked because some lawns were bermuda and some were fescue. He pulled the atrazine hose to treat a bermuda lawn in the back. The front lawn was fescue. A month later, there was a dead line in the front lawn where his atrazine soaked hose dragged across the fescue.

Talk about a pain in the azz.

An idiot can have a nice lawn with bermuda. It takes a lot of skill, know-how and equipment to grow a good looking fescue lawn. Just think about it: Fescue requires overseeding every year or even every spring and fall. Fescue will not tolerate drought. Fescue is prone to fungal problems. Fescue lawns need to be de-thatched. In bermuda land, we don't even know what de-thatching means. Fescue has to be aerated every year. Bermuda can grow just fine on the hardest clay around. It's nearly impossible to eradicate grassy weeds in fescue. Fescue looks best when striped. We don't even know what a striping kit is in the DFW area.

In my opinion, the annual lawn bill for a fescue or other cool season lawn should be about four times that of a bermuda lawn.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

Granted it does take more to keep a fescue in good shape then a bermuda or zoysia but around here zoysia is green MAYBE 5 months out of the year. The rest of the time it looks terrible.

As long as people water properly, my blades are kept sharp and they are on a good regimine of fertilizer then their yards are going to look great year round.

As far as the overseeding goes every year...hogwash :)

iluvscag
06-07-2005, 02:43 PM
It makes me think that Im addicted to this site and that waste to much time on here. :rolleyes: