PDA

View Full Version : No T270's!!!!! ^@%@#*&!!!!!!!!

wacamaster
06-07-2005, 12:58 AM
Went in to get me a couple more Shindaiwa T 270's. They don't make them anymore!! Apparently they don't meet emmisions. Then I'm looking thinkin they will have a similar one and they making them with ridiculously huge heads and engine size. Anybody seen those heads?? What the hell were they thinkin???

gunner27
06-07-2005, 01:05 AM
Nope, don't make ' em any more. I know your pain, probably one of the best trimmer ever made. Before I statrted my own buisness I used to run them for more than 7 to 8 hours a day. When I went on my own i bougt a T 230. Well they dont make those anymore. My advice would be to go to your closest dealer that gives you the best service.

ElephantNest
06-07-2005, 07:10 AM
Ebay. I found 3 270's on Ebay, love them all.

mastercare
06-07-2005, 10:15 AM
I too can't stand the new ones. They basically just added the equivalent of a Catalytic converter to the muffler, which makes the head so much bigger. The engine is basically the same size though. New restrictions on airflow leads to lower output by the engine. I've often wondered though, if you could take off the "new" equipment, and buy and old muffler/plastic housing, if it would bolt on, and work like the old ones?

Anybody try this?

Tider6972
06-07-2005, 12:16 PM
The nearest thing to the 270, and even better, is the Redmax 3000. Try it; you'll like it.

MercyMe
06-07-2005, 06:33 PM
Actually the new high torque model SRM-261T from Echo has the same power and unbelievable torque like the old T-270's. And a lot better price too! $319

ed2hess
06-07-2005, 06:36 PM
Actually the new high torque model SRM-261T from Echo has the same power and unbelievable torque like the old T-270's. And a lot better price too! $319
We have both and I would agree the Echo 261T is almost as good as the T270 and the Echo is lighter.

txlawnking
06-07-2005, 06:47 PM
I don't think the 261T is quite so hot as the 270 was.. But it sure is lighter.. I think my t-270 replacement will be a Stihl FS 250.. It seems to be about the same weight as the old 270' and You can't argue with 2.15HP.. ( per Stihl's website..) Or maybe a Redmax 3000.. The Tanaka guy sez that their 3400 rips too..Anyone else used either the Stihl or the Tanaka?

txlawnking
06-07-2005, 06:50 PM
I too can't stand the new ones. They basically just added the equivalent of a Catalytic converter to the muffler, which makes the head so much bigger. The engine is basically the same size though. New restrictions on airflow leads to lower output by the engine. I've often wondered though, if you could take off the "new" equipment, and buy and old muffler/plastic housing, if it would bolt on, and work like the old ones?

Anybody try this?

I believe someone told me that in adition to the Cat muffler, the carb is different as well, and maybe even some internal differences..

Either way though.. It'd probably be too $$$ to buy a new T-272x and do a "270 conversion".. :( R.I.P. 270..

jgtxusa
06-07-2005, 07:17 PM
i run the t261s and my guys like them pretty good. they cant touch the old 260s or 270s, but they will have to do.

TClawn
06-07-2005, 08:03 PM
I've heard that you can get an HP boost from putting an extra small hole in the exaust, doesn't give as much back pressure.

wacamaster
06-07-2005, 08:42 PM
Instead of putting a whole in the exhaust just take the screen out of it. It's the first thing I do when I get a new trimmer. Makes it RIP!!!!!!!! If you don't.. the screen will eventually get clogged and bog the hell out of it. I think my local dealer must make a killing off this easy to fix problem. I've seen numerous people bringing in their bogged down whippers.

txlawnking
06-07-2005, 09:28 PM
I've heard that you can get an HP boost from putting an extra small hole in the exaust, doesn't give as much back pressure.

You can certainly "open up" the exhaust a little, But I'd tread kinda lightly on the newer emmisions models.. As you can't compensate for the extra airflow with extra fuel.. Ibelieve most of the emmisions carb machines are already on the lean side to begin with..

On older models with an adjustable carb, opening up the exhaust slightly, and tuning the carb to the mods can help bigtime.. I just did such a thing on a Fellow Ls members old Echo 2501... It runs EXCELLENT now..But again, I'd be real careful on the newer machines..

Tanaka
06-07-2005, 10:08 PM
I don't think the 261T is quite so hot as the 270 was.. But it sure is lighter.. I think my t-270 replacement will be a Stihl FS 250.. It seems to be about the same weight as the old 270' and You can't argue with 2.15HP.. ( per Stihl's website..) Or maybe a Redmax 3000.. The Tanaka guy sez that their 3400 rips too..Anyone else used either the Stihl or the Tanaka?

Hi guys,
I just spoke with Brian at Coastal Greenscapes - he is field testing the TBC-340PF as we speak. He and his crew love it! Be sure to check the Tanaka forum in the next week for the full review.

-MW

impactlandscaping
06-07-2005, 10:57 PM
I love my T270's. The oldest is 8 years old, and just got it's first new shaft replacement last fall. I have a T25, and it's great for longtime running on big hillsides. The T260's are used as backups to the T270's...they are our frontline everyday trimmers. Our local dealer had an older, unused T 270 last fall. I wanted it, but didn't want to part with $ 525.00 for it.

Tider6972
06-08-2005, 03:05 AM
I finally got to try an Echo 261T side by side with my Redmax 3000. The 3000 is a clear winner, no contest over the 261T. The Redmax 2600 is closer to the Echo 261T.

Echo is my second choice to Redmax in all handhelds (trimmers, pole saws, hedge trimmers, stick edgers) available on today's market, but Redmax rules.

To make an apples to apples comparison to the Redmax 3000, you got to get an Echo SRM311, but still the Redmax will outperform the larger displacement Echo, while being 3.3 lbs. lighter !

The Stihl guys are guys who love to manhandle stuff and don't feel like they've accomplished anything unless they've worked their asses off :) The orange is yesteryear; can't hang in today's hi-tech world.

txlawnking
06-08-2005, 04:05 AM
I finally got to try an Echo 261T side by side with my Redmax 3000. The 3000 is a clear winner, no contest over the 261T. The Redmax 2600 is closer to the Echo 261T.

Echo is my second choice to Redmax in all handhelds (trimmers, pole saws, hedge trimmers, stick edgers) available on today's market, but Redmax rules.

To make an apples to apples comparison to the Redmax 3000, you got to get an Echo SRM311, but still the Redmax will outperform the larger displacement Echo, while being 3.3 lbs. lighter !

The Stihl guys are guys who love to manhandle stuff and don't feel like they've accomplished anything unless they've worked their asses off :) The orange is yesteryear; can't hang in today's hi-tech world.

I kinda suspected that was the case..I am a raw horse power freak, and my next trimmer will have boatloads of it.. I still can't help but imagine how trick a real powerful trimmer would be with the 261T lower gearing.. I want a 21" trimmer!!!

txlawnking
06-08-2005, 04:07 AM
Hi guys,
I just spoke with Brian at Coastal Greenscapes - he is field testing the TBC-340PF as we speak. He and his crew love it! Be sure to check the Tanaka forum in the next week for the full review.

-MW

Thanks Mark, I will be waiting with baited breath.. :)

Tanaka
06-09-2005, 11:15 AM
"First, It is an awesome trimmer. I have to say that given its performance, I would switch from Stihl. We especially like the design of the stringer head and operation." Brian, Coastal Greenscapes

-MW