PDA

View Full Version : Grass Gobbler question

gml9
06-07-2005, 08:45 AM
Wanted to purchase a grass gobbler for my Toro 52 w/b but the dealer says it wouldn't be good for my 52 b/c it would fill up every 10ft or so. I don't believe him and think he just wants me to spend the extra money on a tracvac system. Anyone using the grassgobbler(like accellerator's) on a 52?
I have a few lawns that grow very fast, I'm mowing them once a week, and need to get them clippings up after mowing. I've been mowing some spots twice to "dice" up the clippings but figured I could use the grass gobbler for there lawns. Thanks for any input.

LawnScapers of Dayton
06-07-2005, 09:11 AM
I have the Accellerator on my 52" Stander. Works great.......really packs in the grass/leaves. I have not yet bought the extension because I have not needed it.....

Go with the Accellerator....your back will thank you.

Derek

Itsgottobegreen
06-07-2005, 12:35 PM
I run grass gobblers on a 52" deck. I used a grass gobbler turbo 10 on my 61" sentar. The catcher is going to fill up with the same amount of grass weather you are using a 32" deck or a 52" deck.

I love my gobblers. They can take a beating and anybody with a welder can fix them because they are made from steel. Accelerator needs someone with a welder that can handle aluminum.

smoothbore2004
06-07-2005, 03:16 PM
Hey i started out with a gobbler on my 48 scag and then bought the big bagger for it. So if you need a grass gobbler i am lookin to get $100 bucks for it so if your interested email me back smoothbore2004@yahoo.com
By the way the gobbler works great but i decided to go with the bigger bagging system since i bag all my lawns. You wont be dissappointed with a gobbler.

Itsgottobegreen
06-07-2005, 03:54 PM
The scag catcher won't fit on the toro. Different mounts. The scag and ferris mowers use the same catcher. Toros used a complete different mount.

smoothbore2004
06-07-2005, 03:57 PM
you mightbe right bout that i just noticed the mounts look pretty universal so i figured they would work on just about any deck. Well ask the dealer to make sure and if your still interested just let me know its not goin anywhere soon so. take care.

mkwl
06-07-2005, 04:50 PM
I have two Jumbo Grass Gobblers for my 36" Toro Proline WB, and my 48" Bob-Cat WB. They aren't all that heavy, they are very durable and hold a lot of grass (4.3 cu.ft. to be exact). They are quick and easy to mount to the mower! I would highly reccomend Grass Gobbler catchers! Also, I've heard that Accelerator catchers tend to wear out and fall apart.

grass_cuttin_fool
06-07-2005, 07:32 PM
Hey i started out with a gobbler on my 48 scag and then bought the big bagger for it. So if you need a grass gobbler i am lookin to get $100 bucks for it so if your interested email me back smoothbore2004@yahoo.com
By the way the gobbler works great but i decided to go with the bigger bagging system since i bag all my lawns. You wont be dissappointed with a gobbler.
I wonder what it would cost to ship it to VA?

Shady Brook
06-08-2005, 12:34 AM
In the past I would get about 2 years of light use out of a gobbler. I would imagine I would get one year if I during that time I bagged exclusively. Of the Gobblers, the only one I have seen that I think is worth it's salt is the one designed for the stander. It seems to have some added reinforcements, and looks superior in construction to the conventional gobblers. I am convinced that they are too thin, too hard to repair when damaged, and just do not last long enough. I will go with Accellorator in the future for my business. I would not even consider a trac-vac unit for a walkbehind. I have done it before, but the reasons for not doing it again are legion.

MMLawn
06-08-2005, 12:49 AM
I have two Jumbo Grass Gobblers for my 36" Toro Proline WB, and my 48" Bob-Cat WB. They aren't all that heavy, they are very durable and hold a lot of grass (4.3 cu.ft. to be exact). They are quick and easy to mount to the mower! I would highly reccomend Grass Gobbler catchers! Also, I've heard that Accelerator catchers tend to wear out and fall apart.

Hey 14 year old kiddie, stick to something you really know about like playing with your toys or something because you couldn't be more WRONG on the Accelerators! They are GREAT Baggers and their support is First Rate!!

And little boy they are also a PAYING SPONSOR of Lawnsite....making it possible for you to be here, even if you did bash them without knowing of what you speak!

1MajorTom
06-08-2005, 12:53 AM
Accelerators are GREAT. We have one, no complaints.

impactlandscaping
06-08-2005, 12:58 AM
I went with the Gobblers for our Standers b/c they were made for them . They pack really well, and using them on a rye/fescue lawn on a one week cut, I can do around 4500-5000 ft2 before emptying the bag. I have met Peter several times at Expo, and he makes a great catcher as well. It's the same as a Ford / Chevy debate. They both serve their purpose, it's just a matter of preference. Had I not bought Standers, and stayed with Snappers, I would have probably bought the Accelerators for the new mowers.

Richard Martin
06-08-2005, 05:41 AM
Wanted to purchase a grass gobbler for my Toro 52 w/b but the dealer says it wouldn't be good for my 52 b/c it would fill up every 10ft or so. I don't believe him and think he just wants me to spend the extra money on a tracvac system.

I'm not going to recommend any one catcher (GrassPacker, it's way better than the other two brands, no corrosion, no wear out, easier to empty) but there is some truth to what your dealer tells you. If you have to bag lawns that grow thick and fast you will find yourself emptying the catcher often and you will have a pickup truck bed full of clippings in no time. You can extend your runtime between catcher emptyings by installing Gator blades on the mower. They should reduce the clippings in the catcher by about 30 to 40 perccent.

mkwl
06-08-2005, 05:17 PM
Hey 14 year old kiddie, stick to something you really know about like playing with your toys or something because you couldn't be more WRONG on the Accelerators! They are GREAT Baggers and their support is First Rate!!

And little boy they are also a PAYING SPONSOR of Lawnsite....making it possible for you to be here, even if you did bash them without knowing of what you speak!

Did I say that I have actually used one...NO! All I said was that I have HEARD from some people that I know that they SOMETIMES have problems. If you like yours, and they work well for you, FINE! Do you have a problem with 14 year old kids, that do just as good if not better of a job than you do? Is there any particular reason why all of your posts target me? Get a life and lay off!

Bret's Lawn Care
06-11-2005, 03:19 PM
I'm gonna have to agree with mm lawn because on your website it says you do pesticide and fertilizing applications which is illegal for you and you don't even have a liscense. half the hours you are putting on your mowers are in transport so i think mm lawn has more expirience than you and back on topic the accelerators are great for leaves and grass and i've never heafd of any problems. so maybeyou should stick to the homework instead of illegally fertilizing.

LHSlawnman86
06-11-2005, 03:35 PM
mkwl was not trying to bash any particular product, just to offer some opinions and advice to somebody who asked a question.

1MajorTom
06-11-2005, 04:04 PM
The idea here is to offer opinions on products that you actually have experience in using. If I said I heard from my brother that he told me that his wife told him that her mother told her that the mechanic she goes to told her he used a bagger and didn't like it..... would you really want to hear that?
Let's not go on what "we heard"... let's have some experience in using the product before actually commenting on it.

Accelerator is a good sponsor here, and saying you "heard" something just doesn't cut it.
Maybe re-read the posting guidelines:
You are not permitted to post or insinuate false information about members as well as sponsors. If you have never owned or used (at great length) a product offered by one of the sponsors, you are not permitted to comment on the value, validity, or effectiveness of these products or services.

Bret's Lawn Care
06-11-2005, 10:33 PM
i'm just saying that i don't tghink that a 14 year old who reminds us what mowers he has in every post should be applying fertilizer and yes i give him credit for having ambition and not just smoking weed or playing video games but i think he is trying to be bigger than he can be thats all i was saying never did i bash any sponsors

mkwl
06-12-2005, 12:57 PM
mkwl was not trying to bash any particular product, just to offer some opinions and advice to somebody who asked a question.

Exactly!!!!!

1MajorTom
06-12-2005, 01:02 PM
Exactly!!!!!
No, not exactly. The rules are clearly stated. This is the last time I will mention it.

Mark McC
06-12-2005, 01:15 PM
I rarely catch clippings because I expect that eXmark mower, which cost me better than five grand, to chop the clippings up. Having said that, I will also say this: If I absolutely have to catch a lawn, I will usually mow and throw, then pick up the clippings after they've had time to dry out. I haven't tried to time out the comparison, but it seems like much less lifting because the clippings lose a lot of water while I'm trimming and edging.