PDA

View Full Version : stringers and mulching kits

lawnchopper
06-07-2005, 08:52 AM
is it common to get stringers when using a mulching kit. Im gettin lots with our new Lazer 60" especially in poorer quality grass. In lusher sodded lawns not as bad . Would side discharging eliminate this problem????????
Im sick of double cutting everything. Perhaps getting a quikchute or something to help save on blowing. Not to mention were in the middle of the spring growth spirt

Mo Green
06-07-2005, 04:15 PM
I use a mulch kit on my Viking sometimes, and get stringers from time to time. Not sure exactly what is causing them, but I think the grass build up under the deck when cutting in damp grass is part of the prblem. I noticed them more when the grass was damp or wet, or grass was clogged under the deck.

gogetter
06-07-2005, 04:43 PM
I had the same problem when I used a mulch kit on my Exmark 36" wb.

Envy Lawn Service
06-07-2005, 06:04 PM
Well, in taller growth you are still going to have to double cut even if you switch to side discharge because you'll have to go back over it to chop the discharged clippings up and get those half dozen stringers.

In my honest opinion, one of the problems with eXmark's mulch kit is that their mulch blades do not produce enough lift. The material is a bit too flexable as well. If it were a 52" I could tell you what to try. But these blades are not made for the length you would need on the 60"....

But, here is what I would try first as nuts as it sounds. Go down to your dealer and pick up a set of the excalibur solid foil high lifts. Try those.... hope you have the 27hp... Pick up a set of exmark low sail blades too.

If that doesn't work you are probably going to have to play the blade type guniea pig. You'll have to order several styles and brands of aftermarket mulching blades. Wavy style, style with teeth, ect. Try Oregon, J-Thomas, Stens, Landscape Supply, ect.

You may find enough variance between brands to find a wavy type blade that works a lot better.

Fareway Lawncare
06-07-2005, 06:10 PM
You Crazy Kids Need to Start Running Double Offset Mulch Blades on Each Spindle...Mulch Kit Works One Hundred Percent Better.

Runner
06-07-2005, 10:46 PM
Some straingers can be expected. One major reason for this, is the inability to lift clean. There is alot of turbulance that bounces off the top of the deck and blows back down toward the grass. With an open discharge chute, you have more of a "breathing" action, where the blades are lifted, but air is able to be forced out the side.