PDA

View Full Version : would you dump him?

bobbygedd
06-07-2005, 09:51 AM
the guy waters everyday. the place has drainage issues, the lawn is always wet. there is a constant battle of surge growth, nutsedge, and the beds infested with weeds. i talked to him about it several times. he swears he's not watering everyday, only 3x a week, like i told him to. HE'S LYING! i've driven by many times, and it's on every day. we had 24 hrs of straight rain friday. we had rain last night. and this morning, the sprinkler was on. to dump, or not to dump, THAT is the question

ALBsun1
06-07-2005, 09:56 AM
Tell him you need to cut it every 4 or 5 days if he is going to water everyday...

Ryan Lightning
06-07-2005, 10:16 AM
Send him a letter from the "city" saying that he can only water on certin days of the week are he will get a huge fine. :D

impactlandscaping
06-07-2005, 10:50 AM
Dump him...soon he will be griping about the "damage" from the mowers on his soft turf. We had a lady last year who had the local ChemLawn wannabes there every three to four weeks....c-ya later...not worth all the hassles :realmad:

Ric
06-07-2005, 11:21 AM
BooBy

He may not be lying about his watering schedule. I believe you all have heavy clay soil and it doesn't drain well. His yard could have some real drainage issues like you have stated. If he doesn't want to try and work with you by cutting back his watering schedule to when it needs water, (Not 3 times a week) Then by all means Drop him like a hot potato. Poorly drained yards are a PITA even if the homeowner is willing to work with you. There are enough good customers out there that won't be such a PITA and that is what culling a good route is all about. Let the start up guys fool with him until they get enough accounts to drop him also.

marko
06-07-2005, 11:28 AM
Sell him on a bi-weekly aeration package! :D

Remsen1
06-07-2005, 11:45 AM
If he pays his bill on time, is priced fairly for the PITA factor of a soggy lawn, doesn't complain about the conditions that he is making worse, then no I wouldn't drop him just for making a mud pie out of his own yard.

On the other hand if he is blaming you for things that he is causing, or argues that you have to charge for a double cut, or is a slow payer etc., then yes, I would dump him due to a combination of these reasons.

Ric
06-07-2005, 12:42 PM
Sell him on a bi-weekly aeration package! :D

Marko

Aeration may not solve the problem of Sub Soil drainage. sounds to me like moving on to a better customer is the quick easy solution to this problem. Sure you could play with it and MAYBE get it resolved. But I think playing the numbers game with better customers is a more profitable approach. Best to stay in an area where there is less stress and more money. Ego's can kill a perfectly good business. Do what you do best and let others do the same. Ask your self "Do I have the necessary Knowledge and Equipment to really correct this problem." If the answer is not 100 % yes, then why ask for a headache. Life is too short.

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC
06-07-2005, 01:21 PM
I would just inform him of what may happen with the saturated lawn, ruts from the mowers, crappy cut because of the longer grass and if he doesnt care I would continue to cut it I guess. But if it just looks really terrible after a few times and reflects poorly on your work and business, I would drop him.