PDA

View Full Version : how did you learn

willretire@40
06-07-2005, 12:43 PM
How did you learn hardscaping?

northmichigan
06-07-2005, 07:45 PM
start small maybe some edging and patio blocks.doing things at home first and then branching out to projects that i could guarentee for others like planting shrubs and flowers. before to long you will be building r.r. tie walls and using pavers.
then you will be ready for the hardscape.
mj

RedWingsDet
06-07-2005, 08:31 PM
read alot of books, then just experimenting on my own home. Now anything I do I gaurantee for X amount of years. So far ive done everything from lawn installs, to patio pavers, to retaining walls, and next thing Im doing is a roof, in 2 weeks. I cant wait. Ive done ALOT of paver, retaining wall and lawn installs, but never a roof. It should be fun!

motoraced
06-07-2005, 09:13 PM
father was a stone mason for 30 years. only way to truely learn the art of natural stone is by apprentice...not by ep henry and his fake crap.

MarcusLndscp
06-07-2005, 10:04 PM
#1 working for other established companies with years of experience

reading, looking at pictures of others work, trying different styles and techniques, and one major thing I always keep in mind is that there are always new/different ways to do things, some right some wrong. I always try to be open minded with what I do. Even when you work with different stones it's going to change the way you build/design

mbella
06-07-2005, 10:21 PM
father was a stone mason for 30 years. only way to truely learn the art of natural stone is by apprentice...not by ep henry and his fake crap.

The people at EP Henry may not be able to tell you much about natural stone, but they can tell you a lot about the installation of manufactured pavers and wall stone. I guess that makes sense since they sell manufactured products and not natural products.

I appreciate good masonry work as much as anybody. However, dry lay and wet lay are two different animals. I've seen good masons butcher dry lay applications.

MarcusLndscp
06-07-2005, 11:14 PM
We had that exact discussion today Mike. We know a guy who is a hell of a mason laying in mortar but you ask him to do something dry laid and he's lost for some reason.
Motorced, don't see too much for people posting pics of natural stone work on here do you have any pics of your work you can post? I'd be interested to see what type of jobs you're involved in.

treedoc1
06-08-2005, 08:25 AM
I'm known mostly for natural stone, but I love getting a paver or SRW job. My productivity more than doubles!

a current raised patio in progress

N.H.BOY
06-08-2005, 09:27 AM
TREEDOC1----that looks f-n great. Love that look. Is that a deck on the inside of those stones? or a hottub in there? good lookin work man :)

treedoc1
06-08-2005, 07:03 PM
pattern flagstone (rectangles) on stone dust base

Thanks for the compliment.

MarcusLndscp
06-08-2005, 07:55 PM
you guys do really good looking work Treedoc

kris
06-08-2005, 09:49 PM
Motoraced,
Not all of us were blessed with a father who was a mason and your comment seemed like a bit of a cheap shot.... take my word for it...good hardscape guys are hard to find!

I think a good mason could easily catch on to dry lay applications ... just like with a good teacher I could catch on very easily to wet lay. I have almost 0 experience with mortar but started laying pavers and building walls in the early 80's ...back then we used allot of 6x6 timber for walls and steps....few years later it was block.

The work treedoc posted looks beautiful and I'm envious....awesome looking work!

Do me a favor and post some finished pics please treedoc

MarcusLndscp
06-08-2005, 10:36 PM
I'm glad someone said that Kris. I'm curious to see pics of his work to see if he can atleast back himself up. The way he talks I'm sure he'll have no problem posting some nice pics of his stuff. And you're correct going from dry laid to wet laid is very easy. Thinking about it it's probably a bit more difficult to go from wet to dry because as you know in dry laid each rock is dependent on what's above and below it. You don't have the mortar there to support and lock everything in. In seeing your work on LS I know you'd have no problem doing wet laid work.

neversatisfiedj
06-09-2005, 08:08 AM
what are some good books guys ?

jd boy
06-09-2005, 08:46 AM
read alot of books, then just experimenting on my own home. Now anything I do I gaurantee for X amount of years. So far ive done everything from lawn installs, to patio pavers, to retaining walls, and next thing Im doing is a roof, in 2 weeks. I cant wait. Ive done ALOT of paver, retaining wall and lawn installs, but never a roof. It should be fun!

Just what people need is their landscaper trying to be a roofer. And people wonder why our industry gets little respect!