PDA

View Full Version : Ferris 1500z Air Filters

grassmeister
06-07-2005, 12:46 PM
I have a new Ferris 1500z, which has the canister air filter. This setup normally has a primary and secondary air filter, whereby the secondary air filter encompasses the smaller primary filter. But I noticed that mine only has 1 (the larger secondary filter). I thought that this was just a new design because the demo model that I tried also had only 1. But the parts manual shows 2. So it looks like they just forgot to put on the primary filter. For those who own a 1500z, did yours come with 2 filters?

eclawn
06-07-2005, 01:09 PM
Would Yours Be With The 19hp Kai And 44'' Deck?
The 19 Is Just A Single Element The 21 And 25 An Ddouble.

RayoVac
06-07-2005, 05:55 PM
I have an Lazer HP with the 19 kawi... and it too has ONLY the sinlge outer filter. You can tell a difference, the whole canister looks a bit smaller on the ones without the pre-filter.

grassmeister
06-07-2005, 06:35 PM
Yes, it's a 19/44. But the parts manual includes this particular model and it shows it having 2 filters. I called Ferris and they said it should have 2, but he didn't seem 100% sure. Isn't this design missing the most important filter? The outer filter on the ones with 2 filters seems to trap the larger particles and the innter filter seems to trap finer particles. Without the inner filter, it seems like it wouldn't be doing the whole job. Is this true?

Travis Followell
06-07-2005, 09:27 PM
The main job of the outer filter is like you said to trap larger particles and extend the life of the inner filter. With the outer filter missing the inner filter is double duty. Its still doing the whole job but to prolong the inner filters life it needs an outer one.

grassmeister
06-07-2005, 11:18 PM
The main job of the outer filter is like you said to trap larger particles and extend the life of the inner filter. With the outer filter missing the inner filter is double duty. Its still doing the whole job but to prolong the inner filters life it needs an outer one.

The filter that's missing is the inner one. So I'm concerned that the smaller particles are being missed.

FLYonWALL9
06-08-2005, 02:40 AM
I have the 44 also and mine only has one. I asked about that at the dealer but he said they only had one. I don't know what to think. I wonder if you got foam filter media and put it around the one thats in it if that will do the job?

grassmeister
06-08-2005, 11:02 AM
Even cheap mowers have some sort of foam filter to trap small particulate matter. Maybe the larger outer filter was design to do that as wellj. But when you look at it, it looks just like the outer filters on other mowers with 2 filters. That's why I feel like this is missing something.

grassmeister
06-13-2005, 11:32 PM
I mentioned this to my dealer and he gave me a NAPA filter (#2845). I tried it and it fits, though it's not a paper or foam filter. Attached is a picture of the new NAPA filter. I wonder why didn't come with it and if it's supposed to have this. Perhaps Kawasaki would know.

grassmeister
06-22-2005, 04:02 PM
I spoke with Ferris again and since they weren't too sure on this issue, they called Kawasaki. Kawasaki said that the single filter is made differently than the dual filter and has smaller holes to trap smaller particles. He also said that adding this second filter may ruin the engine and will void the warranty. So bottom line is it should only have 1 filter.