PDA

View Full Version : How would you handle this fool?

LawnBrother
06-07-2005, 03:25 PM
Ok, a new customer sends me an email, after I call him 10 days after his due date to ask him where my money is. The letter basically says " I am sending you a check for last month's service, but I was shocked to see that you are charging me sales tax. This is not the price I agreed to, so I deducted the tax from the bill and sent you a check for that amount." After that he threatens to cancel if I can't provide service "for the agreed price" ;) WTF?? This guy is trying to play me for a chump. I have not called him yet because I want to tell him what a moron he is, and I am seriously considering just dropping him. I want to be reasonable and not get hot over the phone because I just sent out my bill for May. My dilemma is, I need the account, it pays well (although late). It consists of 3 lawns that I make good $$ on. Very easy, quick lawns.
I know this guy is a jackass, but I want to salvage the account. How would you handle this?

procut
06-07-2005, 03:27 PM
I guess if you want to salvage the account, your going to have to eat the sales tax. Let it be a lesson to always use the phrase "plus tax".

SodKing
06-07-2005, 03:51 PM
2 to the head...always dead!

Send a reply stating that you did charge him the agreed price, the state charged him the tax.

ECS
06-07-2005, 03:54 PM
Send a reply stating that you did charge him the agreed price, the state charged him the tax.Exactly what I was thinking.

Mo Green
06-07-2005, 03:59 PM
Ask him if he puts up this same argument every time he purchases something. The prices advertised on store shelves do not include tax either.....does he pay it?

1MajorTom
06-07-2005, 04:14 PM
First, you shouldn't eat the sales tax. It's all about being happy. Will you be happy giving in to him, or in the back of your mind will you be kicking yourself that you did?
Send him a letter. Tell him you do NOT CHARGE sales tax, you COLLECT it for the State. Send him your sales tax ID #. I have run into this in the past, I always handle it with a letter saying our hands are tied, we must follow the law. If he can't be reasoned with over the sales tax, down the road he'll find something else to complain about.