PDA

View Full Version : Fix my peerless transmission

Lorge
06-07-2005, 03:37 PM
I'm having transmission problems on my Toro walk behind. Last season the tranny started acting up on me. I pull a velke and use 4th and 5th gear most of the time. In a forward gear, it would pause and jerk repeatedly like clockwork. It was as if it were doing it whenever something might have rotated to a certain point.?. It was noticeable mainly in 4th and 5th gear. My dealer recommended changing the shift keys, I did. I could see definite wear on the keys. It ended the problem I was having. A couple months into this season it started doing it again. It was doing the same thing except this time I was also getting a chattering sound occasionally and when that took place the mower would not move forward. This was mainly on turns. It sounded like something was grinding or as if it were slightly getting out of gear but the shaft was still turning. I thought the keys might need replacing again but was unsure why they would be worn so quickly. I changed them and sure enough, the old ones had significant wear on them. It ran like it should up until a couple weeks ago. It's doing the same thing it did before I changed the keys last time. I pulled off the top of the tranny and the keys aren't worn. What else could my problem be? Might the inside of a 4th and 5th gear where the keys rest be worn since I use those most? I've searched around this forum but haven't pinpointed the problem I have.

Restrorob
06-07-2005, 07:23 PM
Probably Is some wear on the inside of 4th & 5th gears,As for the chattering you want to loosen the drive belt and grab the pulley and try to rock it,This will tell you if the input shaft bearings are worn causeing the small drive gear to jump out of the larger drive bevel gear on your cross shaft,Check both these gears close for wear,Also check the chain and sprockets close I have seen so much wear in a chain to cause it to jump,One last thing to check is the bushings on both cross shafts.
The first thing I do after I get a trans. off the unit is pop the top and head to the parts washer and clean all the old grease out and do a complete tear-down inspection,See it cost me money should it come back a month later.

Hope this will help you out !

MOOSE
06-07-2005, 07:24 PM
Belt drive mowers are not made to pull someone around on a sulky. I had a sulky on a belt drive and had to replace the trans. And I dont even use the mower. There just not made to pull someone.

MP350
06-07-2005, 08:27 PM
I would take it a part and check the input shaft (pinion gear) check for wear, it's either this or 4 & 5 worn. On a side note I use this trans on my racing mower and the will handle 40 hp with any problem, so it will haul you around when you are mowing. You can also replace the gears with steel ones to take more wear.

DEEJ
06-08-2005, 12:47 PM
I have had this problem and found this:

1. For the gearbox I have, I replaced the shaft as well as the shift keys. The origial one had 2 shift keys, the new one has 4.

2. The inside of the gears that mate with the shift keys had the corners broken off as the guys said above. Even though it had good keys, the other half of the system was bad. The broken off corners on the gears in turn caused the shift keys to get damaged.

I have this Peerless 5 speed gearbox on a John Deere riding tractor. The tractor is a 1982 - I had shift problems in 1991 - repaired it then and it has been fine since. There are a pile of hours on this tractor. I push a snowblower with this tractor, pull a gang of rollers (heaviest load), pull a loaded dump trailer (made from a 200 gallon oil tank), pull an aerator, and pull a 30 gallon sprayer. It is plenty strong to do all of this - so it will pull you around just fine.

I did what was mentioned above, I cleaned the box out completely and repacked it with John Deere roller chain and gearcase lube (thin yellow grease in a tube).

deej

LawnScapers of Dayton
06-08-2005, 01:05 PM
my belt drive pulled me fine on a sulky for 5 years with no problems......

Lorge
06-10-2005, 06:41 PM
As for the chattering you want to loosen the drive belt and grab the pulley and try to rock it,This will tell you if the input shaft bearings are worn causeing the small drive gear to jump out of the larger drive bevel gear on your cross shaft,Check both these gears close for wear!

I'm getting just the slightest bit of play when I move the pulley back and forth...maybe 1/8" at the most. Are the bearings worn out if this is the case. If so, I found the diagram on J-thomas.com and there are 2 needle bearings. Here's the link http://j-thomas.com/Catalog/171.htm Would both need to be replaced. If the input bevel pinion is jumping out of the bevel gear and has been for 10 hours of operation on the machine, is it likely both gears are ruined?

Restrorob
06-10-2005, 07:36 PM
I'm getting just the slightest bit of play when I move the pulley back and forth...maybe 1/8" at the most. Are the bearings worn out if this is the case. If so, I found the diagram on J-thomas.com and there are 2 needle bearings. Here's the link http://j-thomas.com/Catalog/171.htm Would both need to be replaced. If the input bevel pinion is jumping out of the bevel gear and has been for 10 hours of operation on the machine, is it likely both gears are ruined?

Yes in deed I would replace both bearings and there should also be a square type 'O' ring on the shaft also I would replace.As for the gears you need to do as I suggested and clean ALL the old grease off everything so you can get a good look at ALL the gears and the sprockets,You should be able to look at the input pinion and bevel gear and spot any damage,And just for safe measure I never go into one without replacing the chain,Had one break a week after I was in it and had to go back in the second time for free all the customer had to pay is the price of the chain.

mower_medic
06-15-2005, 11:10 PM
One other thing that often gets overlooked is the splined couplers that connect the output shaft to the drive pulley shaft. Make sure they are not getting too worn . also look at the output shaft splines too. My experience has been to replace the input shaft bearings as long as you have the transmission apart and cleaned up.