PDA

View Full Version : Ouch, I missed this 21' Proline auction.....

Lawn Sharks
06-07-2005, 03:44 PM
Here is an Ebay auction that I had marked to watch and fell asleep before I could bid on it. Looks like someone got a good deal. Drats!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4386484322

:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

LawnBrother
06-07-2005, 03:49 PM
Awww, man what a deal! $480! the thing looks almost new......

joshlawn
06-07-2005, 04:51 PM
Next time you want to bid on Ebay, use an Ebay sniper tool. That way you can tell the sniper software what your highest bidding price is and it will bid for you at the last few seconds of the countdown. i.e., just set the price, and don't worry about checking up on the current bid price of the auction. :cool2:
It's a very effective tool for winning bids. Trust me. :D

Lawn Sharks
06-07-2005, 04:57 PM
I actually have an account with EZsniper that I love. Used it many times to get stuff. I just got boneheaded on this one. Was planning on playing some online games and then checking on it before going to bed. If the bidding wasn't out of control I was going to putting a snipe on it before bedtime. Fell asleep on the couch before any of that took place (LCO disease). Doh!

:realmad:

txlawnking
06-07-2005, 05:05 PM
But I didn't have the coin.. :( .. That was a steal too..

Remsen1
06-07-2005, 05:07 PM
I've been on both ends, receiving good deals on ebay and selling things for good deals. When I am the seller I hate it when people "snipe". I had an item that should have easily went for $400, it went for $235, with dozens of bids in the last 60 seconds, but those dozens of bids only raised the price about $15 from where it was before the last 60 seconds. It really ticked me off, I almost wanted to re-nig, but I didn't actually lose money, i just didn't get nearly as much as I wanted. For the price that I let the item go, I would've rather kept it for myself. If people would actually enter the amount of their maximum bid right from the beginning, items would go at a fair price, more often. I don't snipe when I am the buyer, but I have been bumped up and bumped off by snipers. I hate it when I lose an item worth $100's by $.01. I've started setting my maximum bids at odd numbers like $101.03.

Lawn Sharks
06-07-2005, 05:42 PM
This is an old argument that I respectfully disagree with you on. What is the difference between me sitting at my computer and putting in a bid for the most that I would pay for an item in the last few seconds and sniping software that does it for you? Nothing that I can see except that I can be doing other things.

The fact is that an item will sell for whatever the market will bear at that moment in time. If you felt should have easily sold for 400 then you should put a $375 reserve on it and if it didnt go relist the item.

If you don't snipe that is fine. It isn't snipers that are beating you it is the fact that someone entered a bid higher than you. Highest bid wins if it was entered by a machine or a human.

I am not trying to argue with you but highest bid wins. Period.

Fareway Lawncare
06-07-2005, 06:08 PM
I Bought 3 of the Proline/Suzukis before they Were Discontinued Last Year...There Never Was nor Will there Ever Be a Better 21"....I Get about 10,000 Lawns out of a Suzuki and No Maint. eXcept Air Cleaner & Wheels & Gearbox Grease.

RIP Suzuki.

ALarsh
06-07-2005, 06:24 PM
Where do I get this ebay sniping software?

BALDEAGLE
06-07-2005, 08:06 PM
Where do I get this ebay sniping software?
auctionsniper.com

Lawn Sharks
06-07-2005, 08:35 PM
The best sniping software that I have found is web based and you can use it at www.ezsniper.com. You don't have to have your computer running for it to work and I have never had any problems with them.

I do not work or know anybody that works for them. Just trying to help a fellow LCO out.

Lawn Sharks
06-07-2005, 08:45 PM
Anyone of you Proline 21 experts have a guess as to what year that mower was ? What year did they stop the black bags and go to white ones? Anything in the photos that would suggest it had BBC?

Just curious so when the next one shows up I can be more informed. I only have one.

MX 158
06-07-2005, 10:47 PM
I have a toro proline with the 2 cycle suzuki & bbc I will be selling in a week or two. It's 3 years old but probably has less than 5 hours on it.

Carolina Cutter
06-07-2005, 11:02 PM
This is an old argument that I respectfully disagree with you on. What is the difference between me sitting at my computer and putting in a bid for the most that I would pay for an item in the last few seconds and sniping software that does it for you? Nothing that I can see except that I can be doing other things.

The fact is that an item will sell for whatever the market will bear at that moment in time. If you felt should have easily sold for 400 then you should put a $375 reserve on it and if it didnt go relist the item.

If you don't snipe that is fine. It isn't snipers that are beating you it is the fact that someone entered a bid higher than you. Highest bid wins if it was entered by a machine or a human.

EBay will ban you if they find out that you used it.......thats the difference...

Just DON'T publicize that you do...jeezzzzzz

Lawn Sharks
06-07-2005, 11:26 PM
Can you show me in Ebays Terms of Use where they prohibit the use of auction vehicles such as EZSniper? I don't recall seeing it.

Tider6972
06-08-2005, 02:47 AM
MX 158, don't sell it to Faraway! He told me the Kawasaki Proline was better, and I passed on a Suzuki !

Make him buy Kaw s :)

Lawn Sharks
06-08-2005, 07:19 AM
Here is what Ebay says about sniping. As I expected they don't care. The more bidders the better off they are.

Is it permitted for another bidder to bid on an item I was bidding on at the very last second and win it?

Yes, it is.

Within the eBay Community, this practice is called "sniping" and it means to place a high bid in the closing seconds of an auction-style listing.

As frustrating as it can be to lose an item you really wanted, sniping is part of the eBay experience, and all bids placed before a listing ends are valid - even if they're placed only one second before the listing ends.

One way to help avoid disappointment is to ensure that the maximum bid you enter on the item page is the highest price that you're willing to pay. The eBay proxy bidding system automatically increases your bid up to the maximum price you specify, so entering a higher maximum may help prevent you from being outbid in the closing seconds of a listing.

Remsen1
06-08-2005, 10:50 AM

As most sellers will tell you, you should list an item with a low price in order to stimulate bidding. I have seen many times an item with a fair starting price or "reserve not met", but very few bids.

The problem that I have with sniping, vs. everybody entering their true actual bid is that E-Bay is based on a timer, unlike a live auction that gives everybody another chance up until the item has reached the maximum price that one person willing to pay. So when people start sniping in a timed auction the item is not really selling for the maximum that anybody is willing to pay, instead it is selling for the highest price reached when the time runs out. Take my item for example, it is obvious that it was being bid on by snipers and maybe some people who just weren't willing to pay what the item was worth. Each sniper was hoping that their bid was the highest bid when the time ran out. If I would've received just one, legitimate fair bid, the snipers would have helped to drive the price of my item up, but unfotunately i think there were only snipers there at the end. Surely you can understand my frustration with this.

Lawn Sharks
06-08-2005, 12:01 PM
Okay, for all of those that follow this thread here is another Proline 21 going up for sale on Ebay. Ends soon. Looks like a solid little mower for someone. Good luck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=71272&item=4386472796&rd=1

Lawn Sharks
06-08-2005, 01:14 PM
As most sellers will tell you, you should list an item with a low price in order to stimulate bidding. I have seen many times an item with a fair starting price or "reserve not met", but very few bids.

The problem that I have with sniping, vs. everybody entering their true actual bid is that E-Bay is based on a timer, unlike a live auction that gives everybody another chance up until the item has reached the maximum price that one person willing to pay. So when people start sniping in a timed auction the item is not really selling for the maximum that anybody is willing to pay, instead it is selling for the highest price reached when the time runs out. Take my item for example, it is obvious that it was being bid on by snipers and maybe some people who just weren't willing to pay what the item was worth. Each sniper was hoping that their bid was the highest bid when the time ran out. If I would've received just one, legitimate fair bid, the snipers would have helped to drive the price of my item up, but unfotunately i think there were only snipers there at the end. Surely you can understand my frustration with this.

But everyone involved knows that the auction ends at a certain time and that they should enter the highest price they are willing to pay before the auction ends. Highest bid wins.

You mentioned that you lost an item that was in the 100s of dollars by .01. I don't know how this could happen as the bid increment on items in that price range is typically 5 dollars. If it did happen then someone was willing to pay 1 cent more than you. If you really wanted the item you needed to bid higher. Highest bid wins.

Remsen1
06-08-2005, 03:12 PM
But everyone involved knows that the auction ends at a certain time and that they should enter the highest price they are willing to pay before the auction ends. Highest bid wins.

You mentioned that you lost an item that was in the 100s of dollars by .01. I don't know how this could happen as the bid increment on items in that price range is typically 5 dollars. If it did happen then someone was willing to pay 1 cent more than you. If you really wanted the item you needed to bid higher. Highest bid wins.

Everybody knows what time the item will end but they are willing to risk losing the auction altogether for the chance to win an item at a price far lower than what they would expect as a reasonable price. I guess what I am getting at is that these are not serious bidders, but instead they are bargain shoppers. The kind of person who is not seriously looking for a widget, but if they could steal it, for half of the going rate, which incidentally is half of the retail price, then they will nibble on the bait. Maybe it comes down to an issue of not enough serious bidders? The item does go to the high bidder, but really it is the runner up or the competing bidders that drive the price. If only 2 people total had stepped up and bid a fair amounts, then the item would have ended at a fair price and the buyer and seller both win.

You can win a $100 dollar item by a matter of less than one whole dollar, but it takes a little luck. You have to guess the amount that the high bidder bidded, then you make your maximum bid that amount plus change. For example if the leading price is $126.00, I could take an educated guess based on what this item is selling for in other auctions, that he set his high bid to say $130, and we know that I can't bid $126.01, but I can bid $130.01 and if $130 WAS the correct guess and was his maximum bid, then I take the lead by one penny. If the leading bidder was smart he would have his max bid set at $130 + change to avoid losing for less than $1.

ALarsh
06-08-2005, 05:10 PM
If you are selling an item and don't want to get screwed by the snipers, set a reserve for the price you want. It is not that difficult....

Remsen1
06-09-2005, 01:13 PM
If you are selling an item and don't want to get screwed by the snipers, set a reserve for the price you want. It is not that difficult....

WOW! I would've never thought of that! Thanks so much!