PDA

View Full Version : Cleaned carb bowl, now gas sputters out

shorty7616
06-07-2005, 08:26 PM
I was cleaning the bowl out, and after I put it back on gas sputters out of it. I replaced the gasket, but I don't know what to do next?

Its a 12.5 Kawasaki on an Exmark Metro.

Restrorob
06-07-2005, 10:03 PM
I was cleaning the bowl out, and after I put it back on gas sputters out of it. I replaced the gasket, but I don't know what to do next?

Its a 12.5 Kawasaki on an Exmark Metro.

Double check the gasket,These o-ring gaskets can be a pain to install without rolling it with the carb. still on the unit.Another thing to check is the bottom of the bowl,Turn it upside down and lay a stright edge across the center if where the bowl nut goes is lower this will let it tighten before the outer rim makes a good seal.Repair by placing the bowl right side up on a flat metal object and use the handle end of a screw driver and tap it back down flat.

shorty7616
06-07-2005, 10:40 PM
The screw that connects the bowl to the carb goes on fine when the bowl is off. Once the bowl is on, it won't connect. The screw, or the part that the screw goes in seems to not want to connect until about half way up.

Why, Why, Why?

Restrorob
06-07-2005, 10:53 PM
The screw that connects the bowl to the carb goes on fine when the bowl is off. Once the bowl is on, it won't connect. The screw, or the part that the screw goes in seems to not want to connect until about half way up.

Why, Why, Why?

So what your saying is the screw that holds the bowl on will screw in the carb. just fine,But if you hold the bowl on the carb. and start to put the screw in you can push the screw half way in before it starts to screw in ???

shorty7616
06-07-2005, 11:58 PM
So what your saying is the screw that holds the bowl on will screw in the carb. just fine,But if you hold the bowl on the carb. and start to put the screw in you can push the screw half way in before it starts to screw in ???

Right, once I put the bowl on the carb, the screw just won't tighten- like its too short. If i put the screw on w/o the bowl, it will screw in fine, but it actually won't thread until its gone in a few millimeters. I tried to find a replacement screw, but the thread is too fine. I just don't see why the screw won't thread on now, and when it did thread on it was sputtering gas?

Restrorob
06-08-2005, 01:09 PM
Right, once I put the bowl on the carb, the screw just won't tighten- like its too short. If i put the screw on w/o the bowl, it will screw in fine, but it actually won't thread until its gone in a few millimeters. I tried to find a replacement screw, but the thread is too fine. I just don't see why the screw won't thread on now, and when it did thread on it was sputtering gas?

Hate to be the one to tell you this,But the threads in the carb. are stripped.
The only repair is a complete new carb. assembly,A longer screw will limit the amount of fuel to the nozzel and or main jet.

shorty7616
06-08-2005, 02:56 PM
Hate to be the one to tell you this,But the threads in the carb. are stripped.
The only repair is a complete new carb. assembly,A longer screw will limit the amount of fuel to the nozzel and or main jet.

Will this be a complete new Carb or just a Carb assembly? (I don't know if there is a difference)

Also, would this be something a shop would stock
How much do u think this would be-ballpark?

edit:
I actually just took it in the shop and they said it wouldn't be until the weekend before they LOOK at it. Just wondering how much downtime I'm looking at.

Restrorob
06-08-2005, 07:58 PM
Will this be a complete new Carb or just a Carb assembly? (I don't know if there is a difference)

Also, would this be something a shop would stock
How much do u think this would be-ballpark?

edit:
I actually just took it in the shop and they said it wouldn't be until the weekend before they LOOK at it. Just wondering how much downtime I'm looking at.

This carb. is a non stock item for many shops and could take up to a week to order in. And it depends on the shops back log on units also.
If you post ALL model numbers off the white bar code sticker on your engine I can give you a suggested retail price for a complete new carb. ( new carb. assembly is the same thing) I just looked up a new carb. for a 12.5 kaw. and the price was 105.00 and change and the shop is going to add a shipping charge to that also,But without your numbers I can't price the exact carb. for your engine.

shorty7616
06-08-2005, 09:56 PM
This carb. is a non stock item for many shops and could take up to a week to order in. And it depends on the shops back log on units also.
If you post ALL model numbers off the white bar code sticker on your engine I can give you a suggested retail price for a complete new carb. ( new carb. assembly is the same thing) I just looked up a new carb. for a 12.5 kaw. and the price was 105.00 and change and the shop is going to add a shipping charge to that also,But without your numbers I can't price the exact carb. for your engine.

I just looked at j-thomas and its priced at 105.00 also. I'm sure thats what it'll run. I'm hoping that they will have the carb in stock----probably not. I'm going into $600 in repairs this season....and this is my final season. Not to mention all of my down time. Thanks for your help.....you're very knowledgeable.

About how long do you think the labor would take?

Restrorob
06-08-2005, 10:16 PM
I just looked at j-thomas and its priced at 105.00 also. I'm sure thats what it'll run. I'm hoping that they will have the carb in stock----probably not. I'm going into $600 in repairs this season....and this is my final season. Not to mention all of my down time. Thanks for your help.....you're very knowledgeable.

About how long do you think the labor would take?

Well I have a standard flat rate charge of 1 hour to completely rebuild your type carb.,If I just take a old one off and replace it with a new one I charge 1/2 hour,Technically it can be done in 10 mins.,But I replace the plug which is normally bad from the old carb. replace the fuel filter and clean or replace the air filter and pre-cleaner and check high speed no load RPM.
I will not return a unit until it runs like it was intended,I like to make my customers happy with my work and I go the extra mile for my commerical users,If I don't have a part in stock and have a new unit in the showroom I'll rip it off that one to get them back up and running !

shorty7616
06-08-2005, 11:03 PM
If I don't have a part in stock and have a new unit in the showroom I'll rip it off that one to get them back up and running !

Amazing, where are you, I will ship my stuff there. LOL. I actually left my old dealer because he wasn't willing to get a part for a tranny off his new one, instead it sat in the shop for 7 WEEKS!!!

I'm guessing it will just be a "swap" out of the two Carbs. Their really wasn't a carb problem, I just noticed that the bolt was loose on the bowl, so I tightened- then all hades broke loose.
Maybe I could do something like this, maybe not. I'm sure there are some adjustments to it, which I would really screw up. I'm leaving on vacation next Sun, and have to have everything done before I leave. Hopefully this dealer will come thru before next Monday or Tuesday.---Especially since they "loan" out their mowers at $70/day.

Edit: I see my vacation will take you to your state. Destin, to be exact.

Restrorob
06-08-2005, 11:28 PM
Amazing, where are you, I will ship my stuff there. LOL. I actually left my old dealer because he wasn't willing to get a part for a tranny off his new one, instead it sat in the shop for 7 WEEKS!!!

I'm guessing it will just be a "swap" out of the two Carbs. Their really wasn't a carb problem, I just noticed that the bolt was loose on the bowl, so I tightened- then all hades broke loose.
Maybe I could do something like this, maybe not. I'm sure there are some adjustments to it, which I would really screw up. I'm leaving on vacation next Sun, and have to have everything done before I leave. Hopefully this dealer will come thru before next Monday or Tuesday.---Especially since they "loan" out their mowers at $70/day.

Edit: I see my vacation will take you to your state. Destin, to be exact.

I'm 35 miles west of Gainsville which is exactly 269.4 miles south of Destin.
I own 1 1/2 acres of woods with a hole cleared in the middle for my home.
Get it !!!
Have a safe trip.