PDA

View Full Version : How do you get a crew Chief?

outrunjason
06-07-2005, 09:34 PM
I want to get out of the labor side of the business. I have about 90 accounts or so and want to find someone to run the equipment and drive the truck on a daily basis. I currently have 2 guys and myself. I want to replace myself with someone else. But I don't want them to just run off with my eqiupment or truck and trailer at worst. How do I do this.

On another note what blower would you recommend. I have a br400 that just croaked.

Thanks, Jason

Dallas, Texas

Rhett
06-07-2005, 10:18 PM
Pay them. Around here about 13 an hour with a take home truck. Hate to say it but most shop around at some of the other guys employee pools. As far as a blower check out the Echo blowers.

TheKingNJ
06-07-2005, 10:24 PM
yeah pay them well. I hate to do it but i need a crew chief when i go away to school this fall. My buddie does 16/hr for his and i'm probally going to do the same.

txlawnking
06-07-2005, 10:33 PM
I want to get out of the labor side of the business. I have about 90 accounts or so and want to find someone to run the equipment and drive the truck on a daily basis. I currently have 2 guys and myself. I want to replace myself with someone else. But I don't want them to just run off with my eqiupment or truck and trailer at worst. How do I do this.

On another note what blower would you recommend. I have a br400 that just croaked.

Thanks, Jason

Dallas, Texas

Do your homework before you say "your hired".

If you narrow all of the apllicants down to one, do a background check on them. It can be quite telling about their history.. As far as Pay $12-14 ought to do it here in TX.

And finally, check out the Redmax 8000.. Worth every penny, and your guys will love it.

rodfather
06-07-2005, 10:45 PM
My 2 crew chiefs make $22.50 an hour.

outrunjason
06-07-2005, 10:48 PM
Wow much more than I was expecting to pay. My guys get 65 for a days work and lunch included. I have a friend who has a lawn service and he pays a guy 85 for a days work to drive the truck and work for the day. He does a great job to. I heard that 100 a day for a guy would be good.

Jason

J Hisch
06-07-2005, 11:08 PM
You seem to be going about this backwards. We always hire crew chief from within. Meaning 1 of the 2 you have working you should have been molding for that position, and you should be looking for helpers right now. You constanly have to be thinking ahead with your employee's. It is always eaiser to find helper than crew chief's you have to make your own, it just part of the job as a owner.

outrunjason
06-07-2005, 11:24 PM
At the beginning of the year that was on my mind. I had one good guy but he doesn't drive. He then brought along his friend that works now and they work great together. But still they don't drive. So, I want to keep them. But I do need someone to replace what I do. That is drive, keep up with time and lawns and weedeat. Just whatever. I guess I will just have to go up to labor camp and see what I can find. Get them used to the route. See what they are capable of and see if I can get the real info on them incase they decide to run with the equipment. I just don't want that to happen.

Jason

Thirdpete
06-07-2005, 11:36 PM
If they're great, take a half day and bring them over to the DMV. Unless they're illegal, then you've opened a whole other can of worms.

outrunjason
06-07-2005, 11:47 PM
Well one has been in the US for 10 years not sure about the other one. But I am sure that just about all of them are illegal. But then again one of them has I think a green card. Just no DL.

lawnman_scott
06-07-2005, 11:51 PM
Wow much more than I was expecting to pay. My guys get 65 for a days work and lunch included. I have a friend who has a lawn service and he pays a guy 85 for a days work to drive the truck and work for the day. He does a great job to. I heard that 100 a day for a guy would be good.

Jason
Your comparing wages from 2 different worlds pretty much. Are you really worried that someone will run off with your equipment when you have their ss#, address, phone #, and 2 other employees with him?

outrunjason
06-08-2005, 06:10 AM
I guess it is a worse case scenario. But, oh yeah it could happen with 2 other guys because after he drops the 2 guys off for the day and is expected to retrun with the trailer and truck he could just drive off if he felt like it. I am not going to worry about it. I am going to look into it and not worry about it. I guess my main question was the pay. I will see what I can find.

Thanks, Jason

JRAZ
06-08-2005, 11:53 AM
Well one has been in the US for 10 years not sure about the other one. But I am sure that just about all of them are illegal. But then again one of them has I think a green card. Just no DL.

Uh, ?!?!?. This serious? First of all you should not hire illiegals. Second of all, if you do hire them never admit to it on the WWW.

Like others said, you should have been grooming one of your current workers for this spot. I recently had an employee work for me for over one year with no license. I constantly told him he needed to get his license. I told him I could not give him a raise until he could drive. That may motivate them. If you want a good foreman, we pay 14.00 to start for one.

tjgray
06-08-2005, 12:29 PM
But I do need someone to replace what I do. That is drive, keep up with time and lawns and weedeat. Just whatever.

Then you need to be ready to pay them at least $100.00 a day. Good luck on getting the quality employee you seek on anything less :waving:

tjgray
06-08-2005, 12:34 PM
Uh, ?!?!?. This serious? First of all you should not hire illiegals. Second of all, if you do hire them never admit to it on the WWW.

Absolutely!! Some of your neighboring LCO's might not take the practice of hiring illegals too kindly.

ALBsun1
06-08-2005, 12:44 PM
How come you don't want to work? You are only 23 according to your profile, sick of it already? Just joking with you, but i personally would be bored as hell not out there regularly.

The Dude
06-08-2005, 03:09 PM
Your comparing wages from 2 different worlds pretty much. Are you really worried that someone will run off with your equipment when you have their ss#, address, phone #, and 2 other employees with him?

He has to be. He doesn't have that information on his employees. He is paying illegal day labor cash money.

N4PSN
06-08-2005, 05:22 PM
You seem to be going about this backwards. We always hire crew chief from within. Meaning 1 of the 2 you have working you should have been molding for that position, and you should be looking for helpers right now. You constanly have to be thinking ahead with your employee's. It is always eaiser to find helper than crew chief's you have to make your own, it just part of the job as a owner.

I would say DIDO! If you have two helpers now one of them should be crew leader by now, and you need a helper.
If you hire a crew leader and leave the two helpers, helpers you are going to have two p----- off helpers. and if they stay with you they will take if out on your equipment.
This is the way I will do it whey my business grows enough.

Mike's Yard Services
06-08-2005, 06:37 PM
Simply put........if you have illegal labor than you prob don't have insurance etc as may be required....sounds like a oversized scrub.............

outrunjason
06-08-2005, 09:34 PM
Ok some of you are jumping to conclusions here. I am in No way a scrub. I did about 60 yards when I was going to college and then quit. After realizing the money in lawn care I went back to it after a few years. I started back in 2000 just doing a few here and there. I have 90 or so customers and about 60% of those have been with me since 2000. Now I have had good guys that I have used here and there. I usually find a guy at the begining of the season and if I like him I keep him for the rest of the year. But the ones that I have picked never have a license and it didn't matter anyway cause I was not looking for a driver. But now I am. I let one guy go today. I have a new guy starting tomorrow. Will see how that turns out.

On another note. Illegals! I don't know where you are from but here where I live there are more than 300 hundred at the labor center looking for work. The labor center is opoerated by the city. I don't know if they are legal or not and I don't ask. If you think I am in the wrong for maybe hiring an illegal than thats fine. But, there are a lot more companies doing the same thing. You should see the line in the morning with the top companies picking up people. Not that it's right but maybe just more kept on the downlow. Me, I don't care I hire what works and who does a good job. TJGRAY you should know what I am talking about. You are on the same grounds I am.

ALBsun1: I was 23 I guess when I signed up on here. I am 26 going on 27 now. The reason I am wanting to get out of the labor part of it is because of my health. I have asthma that I have to constantly keep under control while outside and that cost about $120 a month. When I am not working like that I don't have to worry about it. Also my skin now has huge round spots all over it, and No it is not where the sun shines. All over my back and stomach. My doctor said as long as I am in the heat and sweating like that I will have to put selsume blue on every night for 20 minutes to get rid of it. I say forget it. I would rather put someone else out there. After all that is the way it should be at some point. I am just doing it now. Oh yeah you could say it is surely hot here to.

Jason

www.jasonslawnservice.com

tjgray
06-08-2005, 10:55 PM
On another note. Illegals! I don't know where you are from but here where I live there are more than 300 hundred at the labor center looking for work. The labor center is opoerated by the city. I don't know if they are legal or not and I don't ask. If you think I am in the wrong for maybe hiring an illegal than thats fine. But, there are a lot more companies doing the same thing. You should see the line in the morning with the top companies picking up people. Not that it's right but maybe just more kept on the downlow. Me, I don't care I hire what works and who does a good job. TJGRAY you should know what I am talking about. You are on the same grounds I am.

I absolutely know what you are talking about and really you don't want to hear my drawn out opinion on it...but I will say that just because it is there doesn't meen I would use it.

I would rather get out in the field myself and work before I hire an illegal jmo :waving:

Pro-Scapes
06-08-2005, 11:15 PM
jason you may of just dug your own grave. Now anyone who wants to eliminate some competition in dallas knows your working illegals... knows your number... knows your name. All they gotta do is call "la migra" (spelling???) and your out of business and fined heavily. Smarten up a bit man. I'm sure alot of us have used day labor (legal or not) but we dont drop our pants on the web with an audience like this.

outrunjason
06-09-2005, 07:39 AM
Well maybe I am just stupid. Where does it say that I can't hire who I want. All kidding aside here I did't come on here to bust myself out. But at the same time I didn't know I was in the wrong. Also as I thought about this I remember that one of my guys is perfectly legal. I just forgot all about it. Like I said I usually don't ask.

I don't want to get off topic here but will do. If I hire someone wether they are legal or not am I suppose to be keeping record of what I pay them etc. Call me dumb but I have never botherd with it.

Jason

YardPro
06-09-2005, 08:14 AM
Well maybe I am just stupid. Where does it say that I can't hire who I want.

Jason

us labor laws.. department of labor....IRS..

problem is that no taxes are paid on this money. that's the main issue I think that is a big problem. these guys use the social systems, but don't pay a dime into it... that pisses me off becuase that means that i am having to pay thier way.

ANY illegal can get an ITIN number to pay taxes with. Make them get a #....

as far as pay goes. Our foreman get about $150.00/day.

outrunjason
06-09-2005, 07:10 PM
Well thank you all for the advice. I went up to labor camp and sure enough the guy that I was looking for was not there. I waited around because she said that she thought he would show up. But he didn't. But while I was there I read a sign that said all contractors are responsible for verifiying legal status of individuals. I had never seen it before but there it was. So today I asked my two guys and guess what. They are both legal. But they still don't drive.

Jason

Oldtimer
06-09-2005, 09:09 PM
Hiring illegals with no SS# means not paying FICA/etc. and probably not paying personal income tax either.

Oldtimer

BALDEAGLE
06-09-2005, 10:29 PM
language ...........................

outrunjason
06-09-2005, 10:49 PM
Make all the comments you want. I didn't know I was in the wrong. Turns out the ones I have are not illegal anyway.

Jason

Oldtimer
06-10-2005, 06:12 AM
How were you paying taxes???