PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this freehand rock wrk?

sheshovel
06-07-2005, 08:35 PM
Some freehand rockwork .I cant decide if I like it or not.Not my work,a local guy around here.What's your opinion on the overall look of this kind of work?

dvmcmrhp52
06-07-2005, 08:39 PM
It's creative and someone spent a good deal of time with it, however I don't care much for the rambling nature of it.
No focal point in my mind..........

It does look like good work other than that though............

bigviclbi
06-07-2005, 09:32 PM
I dig it, but in 10 years it might look funny...

Kate Butler
06-07-2005, 09:45 PM
Very art-y, likely very labor-intensive to accomplish. Although it's not the sort of stonework I prefer, I like it better than the "Slide Creek Estates" home behind it. Ticky-tacky (Malvina Reynold's song, "Little Boxes" comes to mind.)

MarcusLndscp
06-07-2005, 10:09 PM
Kind of a guady design....looks like it belongs at a miniature golf course or something

Mountaingoat
06-07-2005, 10:47 PM
Hmmm Maybe we are to used to seeing things square and plumb, kept looking for the squared corners. ;)
It does look different. Fits in with the name of the place.

JimLewis
06-08-2005, 12:35 AM
I love it except for the weird snake rock that is waving between the river rocks. If you'd remove those rocks that would really look cool! Still doesn't look bad. But the waves detract from it.

Kate Butler
06-08-2005, 05:24 AM
I love it except for the weird snake rock that is waving between the river rocks. If you'd remove those rocks that would really look cool! Still doesn't look bad. But the waves detract from it.

I suspect that the 'weird snake rock' is supposed to represent Slide Creek (as in Slide Creek Estates). Although likely only the locals have any idea what Slide Creek is or if it meanders as depicted in the stonework.

sheshovel
06-08-2005, 02:34 PM
here's a close up of the rock

CamLand
06-08-2005, 04:03 PM
You have to say it is unique,not really my cup of tea but if they got paid then someone liked it...

kris
06-08-2005, 08:54 PM
I think it's beautiful work

MarcusLndscp
06-08-2005, 09:28 PM
In seeing the close up you can tell someone did a nice clean job with building it. The design of it just isn't my favorite, but as stated someone who paid for it does like it and in the end that's all that counts

boatdude
06-09-2005, 08:04 PM
Craftmanship looks good but I do not like the "effect".
bd

Del9175
06-10-2005, 02:44 PM
I think it looks like a job well done. As far as liking it, I'm not sure. It seems to have some what of an artistic flare to it and I find with a lot of art, I have to "live" with it before I can decide on if I like it. Unfortunetly Slide Creek is most likely stuck with it like it or not.

cgland
06-11-2005, 06:14 PM
I like it! For once someone is thinking outside the box! Very creative and detail oriented.

Chris

sheshovel
06-11-2005, 08:48 PM
Well that's one of the reasons I posted this in here .I think all masonry professionals should think about expanding their horizons and use a little free thinking and show the talent they have,I mean once you have built a wall,you have built a wall,I think it's important to leave your mark on your work so when people see it around town way after your gone,They will say"Hey Joe Block must have done that work,he had his own style he had talent and you can see it".My bro in law is gone now,but I can point at the rockwork at the post office,in front of a store,beside sombodys pool,or in a one of the homes he did the fireplace or woodstove surrounds in and say hey there he is that's his legacy.

kris
06-12-2005, 08:01 AM
It looks like a new neighborhood .... once some better landscaping is done around it ...perhaps some trees behind it, it will look better.

sheshovel
06-13-2005, 06:04 PM
Ok then how bout this little bit of creativity??

kris
06-13-2005, 07:54 PM
I really like it

DLS1
06-13-2005, 07:58 PM
I like it! For once someone is thinking outside the box! Very creative and detail oriented.

Chris

Ya like hillbilly box. To each his own but it looks like a design from a boy scout troop project. Oh I forgot to mention I don't care for it. :D

Kate Butler
06-13-2005, 07:59 PM
I work signature sunbursts into every natural stone job that I do (generally walkways or patios - sometimes walls). People recognize the sunbursts and know that I did the work.

MarcusLndscp
06-13-2005, 08:05 PM
Hey Kate
Do you have any photos you could post of your sunbursts? I enjoy seeing others creativity at work. Especially interested to see how you put one in a wall. :)

sheshovel
06-13-2005, 08:44 PM
Ya like hillbilly box. To each his own but it looks like a design from a boy scout troop project. Oh I forgot to mention I don't care for it. :D
Then how bout you post some of your creative work heh?this is not posted here so you can call it names like hillbilly work,it's here to show others what other people are doing and if you like it or don't that's ok to say but I don't call other peoples work names, I just learn from them what I like and what I don't.

DLS1
06-13-2005, 09:08 PM
Then how bout you post some of your creative work heh?this is not posted here so you can call it names like hillbilly work,it's here to show others what other people are doing and if you like it or don't that's ok to say but I don't call other peoples work names, I just learn from them what I like and what I don't.

I don't do rock work. It would turn out like that design. Opps that might be to harsh. Lets just say it is gaudy as someone else said. :D

Kate Butler
06-14-2005, 06:33 AM
Hey Kate
Do you have any photos you could post of your sunbursts? I enjoy seeing others creativity at work. Especially interested to see how you put one in a wall. :)

I haven't any pix (working on the digital camera thing - but the decision making process would be worthy of it's own thread here).

The ones in walls are particularly tricky because you need triangles and a circle that are very thick (and with a reasonably flat face) in order to keep it stable. There have been times where I've set the sunburst as the entrance to steps set in the walls so that it can be in the ground leading to the wall and steps.

rocker
06-15-2005, 01:54 PM
Way too much going on with this work but I must admit it is one of the more unique pieces Ive seen.

vipermanz
06-15-2005, 02:46 PM
i like it, it captures the "slide rock" name well

northmichigan
06-15-2005, 04:24 PM
i like the idea but wish they would of carried the flagstone layer across all the way from end to end. did they get paid for the work?
mj

blkberry
06-24-2005, 01:40 PM
The rock work is very diiferent and very creative! Much better than the curb work!!! :alien:

gslawncare
07-01-2005, 01:13 AM
for a job like this, do you do the maintenance for the association, or are you the architechs brother. I'm surprised that a property would pay for a job like this. Your work is literally art. It's very cool and I'm sure, extremely painstaking. Smoke a rock or rock on or whatever it is you stoners do.