PDA

View Full Version : Signed the proposal yesterday today your price is too high

ilovethisgame
06-07-2005, 08:50 PM
This is the kind of s*%! that kills me. I went and bid on a job at a townhouse last night (apparently the owner had a stroke and could no longer care for the yard) I spoke w/ her sister. The place had been very meticulously maintained and I knew quality control would need to be top notch. So I give my price offered to let her take other bids before I could finish my sentence her pen was moving. Well today she calls to let me know she discussed it w/ her husband and sister and determined my price is too high. Then had the nerve to ask if "I could sharpen my pencil" . Needless to say I told her my policy on negotiating, I DON'T!!! I suppose I should thank her for saving me the headache that would have been dealing w/ her. Does anyone do price negotiations after the ink is dry?

LightningLawns
06-07-2005, 09:27 PM
Sometime i'll bid about 10 or 20$ higher than what I want and if they don't like the price i'll go down and they think they are getting a deal, and in fact its what I wanted the whole time. If I get the extra money, its just an added bonus.

jpmako
06-07-2005, 09:30 PM
Sometime i'll bid about 10 or 20$ higher than what I want and if they don't like the price i'll go down and they think they are getting a deal, and in fact its what I wanted the whole time. If I get the extra money, its just an added bonus.

Good Idea I like that!
I have been using that philosophy for a while.
It is especially good when you get the extra money, it is like getting a tip! :p

Jason

Kate Butler
06-07-2005, 09:51 PM

And playing their 'shakedown game' doesn't just about annoy the pants off you?? The price is the price....we do the work, you pay the bill....and you should be damned happy that you didn't have to do the work yourself. Because, if you did (the work) then you would KNOW why it's worth every penny quoted.

LightningLawns
06-07-2005, 10:15 PM
no, its not annoying, it doesn't happen very often, most of the time if they don't like the price they'll say i'll get back to you. Its a little trick of the trade, thats all.

impactlandscaping
06-07-2005, 10:21 PM
If she signed a work agreement / proposal , she's committed to the price she signed for. Don't let her out of it or have you "sharpen your pencil". Tell her to sharpen her mind before she makes any monetary decisions in the future. This is why you need a cancellation fee included in your contracts. It stops all this type of stuff before it starts.