PDA

View Full Version : problem with my mower. suggestions

K c m
06-07-2005, 10:10 PM
First of all I operate an Exmark Metro 48". A few weeks back i hit a piece of metal hidden in the grass and it bent my blade. Getting the nut and bolt off was a pain in the A$$ and took two of us with box wrenches and helpers to get it off. So im cutting the other day and notice the same vibration. and the same problem getting the nut and bolt off.

Things ive decided it can't be.
-Blade is balenced
-bolt is straight as an arrow
-never seize was used

I am kinda curious if any of you have any input because the only thing i can think of is that there is an excess build up of never seize with maybe some dirt or sand in it causing the nut to not turn off.

or could the pulley be bent? i don't thinks so because my stripes are still very nice and there isn't any uneven ness in the grass.

any suggestions would be much apreciated.

txlawnking
06-07-2005, 10:20 PM
Check all that stuff again, especially if the vibration is low frequency. Alos, check your spindle bearing for roughness. It's likely that when you struck the object, that you brinnelled the bearing races, and now they're rough..The anti seize wont make it freeze on there, that's for sure.

You also may wanna check the nut beneath the pulley to make sure it isn't loose. As if it is, it would make it harder to remove the blade nut, maybe.

Did you replace the bolt? When I did a similar thing with my Old Super Surfer, the bolt looked fine, and even rolled on glass without a problem.. But when I chucked it in a lathe, I could see it had some runnout..

LightningLawns
06-07-2005, 10:22 PM
I guarantee its the bolt, replace the bolt and nut and see what it does, same problem I had one time, use a new bolt and new blades and see what it does. Let us know.

K c m
06-07-2005, 10:27 PM
Thanks fellas i will do that as soon as i get a chance. If i cut with it a few days more. like till thursday will that be bad? or no harm? Just don't have time tomorrow

LightningLawns
06-07-2005, 10:32 PM
I would do it as soon as possible, as far as I know, it will make the life of your spindle go down due to the added vibration. You can probably get a bolt and nut from a hardware store and it would only take a minute to replace.

General Grounds
06-07-2005, 10:50 PM
:blob3: you may have a spindle bearing going bad, seems to be the problem when we get a viration. tony

K c m
06-08-2005, 07:46 PM
Thanks guys for the advice. I stoped by the shop and picked up some new bolts. and yes one of the old ones was bent. :waving:

Shuter
06-08-2005, 08:15 PM
Because it is not expensive, I would replace the blade, blade bot, and nuts. Check the deck and frame for damage.

K c m
06-08-2005, 08:29 PM
Because it is not expensive, I would replace the blade, blade bot, and nuts. Check the deck and frame for damage.

well the blade was thrown away as soon as it happened. however when i replaced the bolt. there was absolutely zero vibration. but thanks for the advice. everything checked out when i worked on it.

txlawnking
06-08-2005, 09:31 PM
Glad to hear it.. :)

LightningLawns
06-08-2005, 10:07 PM
Thats great! You might want to carry an extra one on the truck just incase it happens again.