PDA

View Full Version : Dont youlove being delayed by other contractors.

General Grounds
06-07-2005, 10:39 PM
:blob3: i love when a customer signs up for work to be done, then they call and say there having all this other work done on there home and would like the landscape/cleanup to be done last. great im thinking i just bought sometime to get other PITAs done. well after weeks waiting for the call to go ahead, they seem to think i was on the beach waiting for the call andmy guys would be there in the next hour, then when you tell them it would be a week or 2 because i have to order some of these supplies it was like i committed a crime, wow why so long. sorry guys just had to vent, im sure there are a few of you that get this also, seems like the landscaper always gets the short end of the stick, tony

Turfdude
06-07-2005, 11:09 PM
Tony,
I feel your pain. In the past I got burned as a reult of delays from other trade professions. Anytime I know that there is a deadline to meet for a client, I always do whatever possible to CMA. Whenever possible, I try to get my subs involved becaue I know they come thru for me. As a suggestion, in the future, make sure you have the client keep in touch w/ you weekly and/or biweekly w/ progress reports. Also, let them know anything you may need to have done prior to start-up. When you know there may be additional client meetings and/or long phone calls, make sure you put this time in your bid. There are lots of times that you see things that the client won't (run pop-up emitters for downspouts, put sleeves under concrete for lighting and/or irrigation, have grading swails pre-made, etc...) Just make sure you cover all of the bases and charge accordingly.

General Grounds
06-08-2005, 10:12 PM
:blob3: Hey Bob, hope all is well. still nuts up here. i guess what i meant is that its a little frustrateing when these people finally call and give you the go ahead i think they think im sittin starin at the phone and want us there the next day. tony

Turfdude
06-08-2005, 10:19 PM
Tony,
You mean you don't sit by the phone waiting for a call to go to work?? You have a schedule to make and maintain.... well that just sounds too professional to me. I thought all landscapers flew by the seat of their pants and were just in it for beer money or until something else came along. :D

General Grounds
06-08-2005, 10:26 PM
Bob, exactly, i couldnt make up my mind the beach or great adventure, i hate making decsions.

MOW ED
06-08-2005, 11:25 PM
Just happened 2 weeks ago but we got our point across. The sprinkler guy came to start the system. I did the sections where he wasn't adjusting the heads and just moved to the next. I never did get wet but the homeowner said to give him priority, I told him that I have to cut or else its gonna be more expensive. He was alright with me cutting.
I hate delaying my cuts for someone else. Let them be delayed for me.

sheshovel
06-09-2005, 04:58 AM
I hate having to clean-up cement chunks and overpour after the cement guys,wood and nails and screws after the deck guys,scrap tin after the gutter guys,and globs of dried paint after the painters,elect wire pieces and trash after the elect man.YUP we sure get the short end all right.

BRIMOW525
06-09-2005, 08:21 AM
Totally feel ya bro. Landscape project in the works now for 2 months. Of course I'm last to be in on it. Pools guys do their thing, don't clean up, brick workers do their thing and leave massive amounts of sand in the flower bed areas, don't clean up. Fence guys take their sweet time. I'm scheduled to start, half of the old fence isn't out yet, in my way for new beds. I end up having to take out half of the fence and the concrete posts to get my sh*t done. Fence guy doesn't clean up posts or old fence material and I'm stuck with cleaning up after all the other contractors before me. For next to nothing I suppose. I'm sure the guy will pay me but it's still a nightmare to have to do our thing AND cleanup everyone else's mess. If I could leave the job site like these guys do, hell I could bang out landscape projects left and right. OK my venting is done..

sheshovel
06-09-2005, 02:43 PM
As to the topic of this thread,I ask them if I am on hold,to please give me at least a weeks notice before they will be ready for me,then I add that it may take a few days after that before I can begin their job.