PDA

View Full Version : How to trim this hedge row??

anothertractor
06-08-2005, 12:42 PM
I am going to try to post a picture of a property that I am working on. It has a row of Leland cypress trees planted about 20 inches from the edge of the driveway. The trees are now 25 feet or taller. The branches are over the driveway by about 3 feet. The owner wants to trim them back but not so much that it shows all of the trunk, etc. Can I trim this with a hedge trimmer or is there a better system? He wants to carve out about 8 feet high by about 1.5 feet into the trees to kind of make a tunnel effect. Any advice would be appreciated.

Guthrie&Co
06-08-2005, 12:48 PM
what hedge row? all i see are leyland cypress's. if that is what your triming, your in for it. i would recommend replanting for sure

Lawn Sharks
06-08-2005, 12:53 PM
those are trees not hedges, if you cut them back like he wants the chances of it ever being green in the cut area is pretty slim

Good luck!

anothertractor
06-08-2005, 01:12 PM
My first suggestion was to get them removed and plant something more suitable for this area that would provide a screen. He only has about 6 feet from the driveway to the property line. If I can convince him, what would you recommend planting that would get about 8 feet tall and provide a screen?

Lawn Sharks
06-08-2005, 01:16 PM
Arborvitae. It grows slowly so you need to get big ones to start. It grows higher than 8 feet though but you can always make money trimming the tops of it for him for the rest of your life. Will make a nice dense hedge.

anothertractor
06-08-2005, 02:17 PM
what hedge row? all i see are leyland cypress's. if that is what your triming, your in for it. i would recommend replanting for sure
I estimated 30 minutes per tree to trim and clean up. Do you think that I allowed enough time?

RobH
06-08-2005, 02:26 PM
Hey Anothertrackor,

Can you post a pic of that when you are all done? They look like they are really tall. You will need a very tall ladder to get up to reach the tops, unless you end up topping them, which I think is what you said in original post.

You may want to get a trimmer attachment for the end of your weed eater which will make a job like that go a lot faster. Redmax makes an attachment, but it isn't cheap at all. It does do a great job. I know Echo as well as other brands make something similar.

Guthrie&Co
06-08-2005, 02:33 PM
I estimated 30 minutes per tree to trim and clean up. Do you think that I allowed enough time?
I feel that i would recommend a replanting. its just the wrong plant in the wrong place. if you think you can do it go ahead.

Guthrie&Co
06-08-2005, 02:34 PM
topping them will just kill the trees in the long run. i dont know where the idea if topping trees came from but it isnt very professional or smart. it just plain makes you look bad.

sheshovel
06-08-2005, 02:55 PM
It looks bad but you most assuredly can top leylandi Cypress trees ,you can also do as the client wants if your carefull not to cut all the way back to the trunk.
I would use a chainsaw pole pruner start from the bottom and do one or two at a time.Then go back with lops to do clean-up cuts.
Make sure the guy is home and show him and ask him after you do the first tree if this is what he wants.Keep the saw blade clean.
And wear long sleeves,eye protection and gloves or you will be a sorry sob.Cutting wont hurt them as long as you only take off as much as you say your going to.
Inform your client that this will deform his trees and you will in no way be liable for the tree's in writing.
They are gonna look funny but hey he's the one spending the money.I woulden't touch it for any less than $1000.00

JOEWOOD
06-08-2005, 03:05 PM
http://www.fotosearch.com/thumb/EYW/EYW219/e010085.jpg

Anothertractor, leave them trees alone!
Just widen that driveway :)

Joe... :waving:

BCSteel
06-08-2005, 03:22 PM
Personally, I'd take my hedge trimmers and take them as far back as they can go with out taking it to bare bones and taper the top as high as I could reach with the pole trimmers. 1.5' should be no problem and it will result in the "tunnel effect" that he desires.

Guthrie&Co
06-08-2005, 11:05 PM
sheshovel, who told you it was 'ok' to top trees? yes you can prune a leyland cyprees but dont cut the top out of em. it kills the tree. topping trees opens the trunck up to water and it causes rot. thus hollowing out the core.

AdamCByrd
06-08-2005, 11:19 PM
How do you spell the shrub pronounced "Illy Agnes?" Anyway, it's a shrub that I love that will grow very full and thick. It is a light greenish-gray color, and it is very popular for privacy walls.

Guthrie&Co
06-08-2005, 11:37 PM
here are a few sugestions

ilex crenata 'convexa'
potentilla fruticosa
berberis julianae
euonymus kiautschovius
ilex crenata rotundifolia
jasminum floridum
prunus laurocerasus ' schipkaensis' **** very nice would be my pick
'zabeliana'
berberis x mentorensis
berberis thunbergii ***** very nice as well
chaenomeles spciosa

rick2752
06-08-2005, 11:59 PM
How about burning bushes. They get up to 15ft tall and are pretty full

sheshovel
06-09-2005, 03:47 AM
sheshovel, who told you it was 'ok' to top trees? yes you can prune a leyland cyprees but dont cut the top out of em. it kills the tree. topping trees opens the trunck up to water and it causes rot. thus hollowing out the core.

I know from personal expieriance with Lelandii Cypress ,I cut the tops off of a row of 18-7 year old trees because of snow load and 2 years later they were just fine and growing like weeds.In fact had to keep cutting them.I would never do it with any other tree.I dident want to it then but my cust insisted and i couldent say no or loose $100.00 a week job.I don't think his cust wants topping but you can do it with these tree's .Nobody told me I know cuz I have done it.

Coffeecraver
06-09-2005, 05:24 AM
TREES DON'T HEAL THEY SEAL !

The damage you do by the topping is not reverseable.
The topping has caused the tree to sucker out and give you that full effect
but by no means is it good for the tree,the tree will rot from the inside and
the topping will be the cause of it's ultimate dimise.Topping the tree puts the
tree under stress and exposes it to danger from insects,sun and,disease.
:rolleyes:

The Leyland are planted in the wrong place and will continue to be a problem.
When one of these trees dies there will be a big hole in the tunnel effect.
:dizzy:

The best option was mentioned when JOEWOOD said widen the driveway

It is wrong to do the job just because thats what the customer wants
If you know it is wrong and just do it for the money, then your ethics
are not the best.
:blob3:

DLS1
06-09-2005, 08:57 PM

Depends on what your going to do with them. Just looking at the picture I think it will take at least 1 hour each. 30 minutes alone for cleanup for each. Those are some tall trees.

sheshovel
06-10-2005, 04:24 AM
Coffiecraver ,is it wrong to say no to 1 job a customer wants you to do but say yes to all the rest?
You cant very well take on a garden maintenance and do everything else in all of the gardens on the property.And then turn around and tell a good paying client no I won't do that one thiong for you.Her and I did go round and round about it and I stalled as long as I could,to the point where I had to go over in 2' of snow,climb up on a bank and take the weight off of them because they were uprooting from the snow load,then pulley them back into place.But they did recover and they are still alive and thriveing.So regardless of what the book says,They did not rot,got no bugs,and it can be done though it should not be practiced and that's the truth.Also at the time I was not going to refuse the $500.00 cash she gave me to do it that day.Sorry my ethics are better now but not then.And this woman was not the type to take no for an answer.

Coffeecraver
06-10-2005, 01:53 PM
A reaction to a problem is one thing,the trees were under stress of the snow
The uprooting may have killed the trees.

I would not advise others to top trees,this was in responce to a problem that could have killed them.

The trees along the driveway are not under stress,and removing that much of the trees will put them there.The rule of thumb is to cut no more than 25% at one time.

Topped trees can regain their original height as fast as two years.The fast growing ,extremely long and loosely attached shoots caused by topping may be more susceptible to breakage and storm damage.

Topping immeadiately injures a tree and it starts a downward spiral.Topping wounds expose the tree to decay and invasion from insects and disease.
The tree may survive the topping but it's lifespan will be significantly reduced.

:)