PDA

View Full Version : JDeere LX176 Hydrolock/Cutting Out

GriffithBuilt
06-08-2005, 07:05 PM
Our John Deere LX176 riding lawnmower is behaving kindof oddly. Initially I thought that the grass was overloading the blades and killing the engine, but I have now noticed this happening while at idle w/o the PTO engaged.

I've checked the plug and although it looks a tad lean, it's in very good shape. I am going to replace the fuel filter today but I have read that there is a possibility that my fuel tank ventilation system might have clogged. Anyone know where this is located?

Additionally I thought of bad gas, but we have run two tanks through since this started occuring. Running 87 octane chevron in it.

Problem is fairly intermittant and does not necessarily cause the engine to die, often just hiccups (revving 3/4 on the throttle normally, the revs tend to drop almost all the way off then pick back up...certainly not a true miss that would be associated with the ignition system).

Thanks for your help,

Jason Griffith
Griffith Coachworks

Restrorob
06-08-2005, 08:07 PM
Our John Deere LX176 riding lawnmower is behaving kindof oddly. Initially I thought that the grass was overloading the blades and killing the engine, but I have now noticed this happening while at idle w/o the PTO engaged.

I've checked the plug and although it looks a tad lean, it's in very good shape. I am going to replace the fuel filter today but I have read that there is a possibility that my fuel tank ventilation system might have clogged. Anyone know where this is located?

Additionally I thought of bad gas, but we have run two tanks through since this started occuring. Running 87 octane chevron in it.

Problem is fairly intermittant and does not necessarily cause the engine to die, often just hiccups (revving 3/4 on the throttle normally, the revs tend to drop almost all the way off then pick back up...certainly not a true miss that would be associated with the ignition system).

Thanks for your help,

Jason Griffith
Griffith Coachworks

Check the vent in the gas cap and make sure its open.
If you post the model and spec. numbers off the engine it will tell us how to go about trying to solve your problem.

GriffithBuilt
06-08-2005, 08:27 PM
Gas Cap Vent eh? I just went and looked and it works, i tested it by simply applying a small amount of pressure to the cap when it was in place, and sure enough i could hear it venting. upon further inspection the plunger beneath the cap is in proper working order so it is probably keeping humidity out as well.

the engine is a kawasaki K series - 14hp
Code FC420V AS-10
E/No. - FC420VA 45773
Mower model - John Deere LX176

I'm going to run down to the local auto parts store and grab a fuel filter and a plug just to have on hand (plus, it's a beautiful day and I want to take a ride in the car!).

Darn, just noticed that I put 'Hydrolocked' in the title. I meant VAPOR locked. heheh, if this lil baby was hydro-locked i'd have a heck of a bigger problem on my hands - how to mount a small block chevy onto a lawnmower ;-).

Thanks again for your help,

Jason

Restrorob
06-09-2005, 12:05 AM
Gas Cap Vent eh? I just went and looked and it works, i tested it by simply applying a small amount of pressure to the cap when it was in place, and sure enough i could hear it venting. upon further inspection the plunger beneath the cap is in proper working order so it is probably keeping humidity out as well.

the engine is a kawasaki K series - 14hp
Code FC420V AS-10
E/No. - FC420VA 45773
Mower model - John Deere LX176

I'm going to run down to the local auto parts store and grab a fuel filter and a plug just to have on hand (plus, it's a beautiful day and I want to take a ride in the car!).

Darn, just noticed that I put 'Hydrolocked' in the title. I meant VAPOR locked. heheh, if this lil baby was hydro-locked i'd have a heck of a bigger problem on my hands - how to mount a small block chevy onto a lawnmower ;-).

Thanks again for your help,

Jason

Ok Jason,I think by you saying the spark plug was super clean that you may have water in the carb. which could cause this problem.On the bottom of the carb. on the float bowl there is a phillips screw with a spring on it,Its sticking out on its side. This is the bowl drain screw,Take a small clean container and hold it under the carb. and loosen this screw a couple turns only and drain the bowl and check for water contamination,If there is tighten the screw and start the engine.Now it won't start right up because the carb. is empty you will have to crank it over a bit to refill.Do this a second time and check,If there is still water in there you may need to drain and clean the tank.
If you find no water post back and we will have to take the left fork instead of the right !

There was a sears crapsman lawn tractor on ebay 2 months ago had a 1000 Suzuki engine under the hood on nos,It was set up for tractor pulling. What a ride that must have been !