PDA

View Full Version : New Yard Man 46" Hydro

LiveOak77
06-09-2005, 09:12 AM
Looking to buy a yard man at Tractor Supply because it has a 22 HP Briggs twin, cast iron front end, low price $1200. It is still an MTD. How long do the HYDRO transmissions last? Are the new ones better than the old ones? I need a HYDRO for my wife. Also I saw on this forum that the hydro is made by Peerless. Are the cheap ones serviceable. I can replace parts, just need to know expense and how long they last.

I have 2 old MTD's that I currently use. I have to repair the spindles, linkages occasionally, so not much expense, I tend to ue these cheap mowers. Actually I acquired both of them were free. They are the variable pulley design which is fairly trouble free. I just don't know about the HYDRO.

The 46" mower is a 3 blade, but will still fit between the wheel wells on a full size pickup.

iluvscag
06-09-2005, 10:36 AM
YARD MAN stay far far away. You would not happen to be in the area of Walmart would you?

Redneckn
06-09-2005, 11:58 AM
The price is right enough. If you have history with an mtd product, then you know what they are like. they are a cheap mower, but you do get what you pay for. there is no reason to go and spend over 1500 on mower if you dont need to.
a murray (wal-mart) is not a better mower. they are low quality disposible.

as for the hydro units. most of the ones on the consumer units are non servicable. meaning, it can be serviced but they would rather you not. if you know how to do work around a farm, you can usually work on it if you need to.

When and IF you ever need to work on it. In my own dealings, I haven't found where they need to be bothered too terribly often as long as they are not abused.

Travis Followell
06-11-2005, 07:34 AM
Their hydro transmissions must be pretty decent because thats just about all their using now. You can only get a 7 spd on the small lawn tractors like 38 and 42 inch cut. They have went to putting hydro's in all the larger ones so they would have to be a good transmission for residential use. $1200 for that mower is a pretty good price.