PDA

View Full Version : Rate to install flagstone

dillrob
06-09-2005, 12:34 PM
Can anyone tell me what the going rate is to buy and install flagstone over a concrete patio? Nothing tricky. About 300 sq feet over concrete in a wet bed with mortared joints.

I live in SE PA outside of Philly (Chester county).

Thanks,

Bob

sheshovel
06-09-2005, 12:42 PM
It will crack all overtheplace.

nocutting
06-09-2005, 01:27 PM
Hi Dill?......maybe a more experanced / knowlegeable person is needed here?....Why arent you ripping out the old job first?.......Its nice to want to do all kinds of jobs for your client, but its also good to refer off areas you dont have the expertise for...........Dont think its fair to give you advice for chargeing on work you dont have a clue on?.....When I do "Sub" work I get $75 an hour......with no outa pocket expenses.............. :)

dillrob
06-09-2005, 01:31 PM
Didn't know it would crack. My previous house had flagstone laid over the concrete porch and it was fine.

Would it be better to just have it dry laid over a properly prepared surface?

If so, same question. What's a ballpark price for 300 sf drylaid flagstone. Would need to have the subsurface properly prepared.

Thanks.

treedoc1
06-09-2005, 07:12 PM
If the concrete pad is stable, thick enough, and has been in place for a while...no problem.

If I am mortaring over existing concrete I charge $22 a square foot.

You might have to clean and prep the existing pad.

I prefer to add a little more portland to the prepackaged mortar mixes available from the big boxes. It makes the mix a little harder and stronger.

Remember to use the grout bag, and wash afterwards with a damp sponge, repeat, and repeat.

dillrob
06-10-2005, 10:26 AM
Thanks Treedoc.

At this point there is no concrete. Would you suggest pouring a pad and then adding flagstone in a wetbed or just having it dry laid?

Thanks for the help.

B&G Lawn Service
06-10-2005, 10:52 AM
We are out in Chester County (Lincoln University). We charge anywhere from $22-25 square foot. I am currently doing Bluestone over a concrete pad in Delaware County.

Question: Has anyone tried the "wetlook" stuff?

treedoc1
06-10-2005, 07:11 PM
Pour the pad, it will harden enough the next day to start laying the flagstone. You use a mortar mix thats stiff like peanut butter. The 1/2" layer of mortar mix allows you to level the imperfect flagstone. A more liquid mortar mix is used to "grout" the joints when you are done, let it stiffen and sponge clean. It's not a job for newbies, you might be better off dry laying in stone dust.

dillrob
06-12-2005, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the info. I will probably hire a professional for this. With that said, better on a new concrete pad or a drybed?
Thanks.

motoraced
07-18-2005, 02:43 PM
you install flagstone by pouring a slab, or using existing. using a pretty dry mix, of portland and sand, 1-1.5" lay the flag, level and pitch, lift it up and pour "soup," a portland and water only mix..reset. thats how you do it. and charging 25 is just crazy...shoot, flag only cost about 3 and change a sf.

sheshovel
07-19-2005, 01:47 AM
I hope he has a kneeboard and knows how to use it to get his stones in while the concrete is still setting up.if not he has the great possibility of screwing up the slab to the max.
If I am correct,he does not have to skills developed yet to pour a pad and install flag into it then finish it.