PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel slop Cub Cadet 1440

BoogieDog
06-09-2005, 12:37 PM
I just obtained a used Cub Cadet 1440 that is in surprisingly good shape except that it has a ton of steering wheel slop. I can't offhand identify where it is at. Would anyone care to point me in the right direction? I'm going to borrow my wife's steam cleaner to see if I can see it better but it appears to be in the steering box.

Restrorob
06-09-2005, 06:32 PM
I just obtained a used Cub Cadet 1440 that is in surprisingly good shape except that it has a ton of steering wheel slop. I can't offhand identify where it is at. Would anyone care to point me in the right direction? I'm going to borrow my wife's steam cleaner to see if I can see it better but it appears to be in the steering box.

I just looked at the parts break-down on your steering box,On the bottom of the box is a large counter sunk plug with a long cotter pin going through it.
They call this the adjusting plug,Remove the cotter pin and screw this plug inward and see if that doesn't do it.If not there is a tappered type bearing behind this plug that could be worn out.Should you need to go inside the box post back and I'll try to post the break-down for you.

Tharrell
06-10-2005, 05:03 AM
Most brand new riders have some slop in the steering. I donated my old rider to the shop I worked at so we could have a racer. They stripped it down and went right for the steering area. They welded a collar to get rid of the slop.
I never realized how cheaply these riders were made until mine was stripped down.

BoogieDog
06-10-2005, 09:30 AM
I just looked at the parts break-down on your steering box,On the bottom of the box is a large counter sunk plug with a long cotter pin going through it.

They call this the adjusting plug,Remove the cotter pin and screw this plug inward and see if that doesn't do it.If not there is a tappered type bearing behind this plug that could be worn out.Should you need to go inside the box post back and I'll try to post the break-down for you.

That's good information. I'll try to get to this sometime today and let you know.

BoogieDog
06-14-2005, 12:01 AM

I thought it best to thoroughly clean the area so I could see what I was dealing with. Is it necessary to pull the steering box out to accomplish this task or can I do it short of dropping the deck and merely pulling the pin and adjusting the plug? I've looked at some detailed photos on the internet and it appears that it might be advisable to pull the steering column out. Your thoughts?

Is this the same breakdown that you referenced earlier?

http://www.ihcubcadet.com/IHCCFAQ/SteeringBox.htm

Restrorob
06-14-2005, 06:58 AM
I thought it best to thoroughly clean the area so I could see what I was dealing with. Is it necessary to pull the steering box out to accomplish this task or can I do it short of dropping the deck and merely pulling the pin and adjusting the plug? I've looked at some detailed photos on the internet and it appears that it might be advisable to pull the steering column out. Your thoughts?

Is this the same breakdown that you referenced earlier?

http://www.ihcubcadet.com/IHCCFAQ/SteeringBox.htm

I looked at the factory parts break-down from the dealer website,It showed in greater detail what part went where. As for pulling the whole unit,Only as a last resort. On any job I try the quickest easiest way first,In your case I would drop the deck and give the adjustment a try.
I will see if I can post my break-down after work this evening !

Restrorob
06-14-2005, 06:38 PM
I looked at the factory parts break-down from the dealer website,It showed in greater detail what part went where. As for pulling the whole unit,Only as a last resort. On any job I try the quickest easiest way first,In your case I would drop the deck and give the adjustment a try.
I will see if I can post my break-down after work this evening !

This is the pic. I looked at.

BoogieDog
06-14-2005, 11:38 PM
Thanks a bunch. This will be most helpful. I should tackle that tomorrow if I can get to it. Thanks again.

BoogieDog
06-22-2005, 11:44 PM
OK, I've gotten around to that. Fortunately the deck was a snap to remove in only about two minutes. There was indeed some adjustment but it didn't take all the slop out but it is manageable. I estimate the slop is about 1/8 of the steering wheel circumference where it was about 3/8 or so previously, which was unacceptable. Afterwards I loaded it full of grease and used it today. Because the box is not fully visible I can't tell if any other parts might be worn. Before I (if I choose to do so) tear into the box, should I look for anything else?

txlawnking
06-23-2005, 02:13 AM
OK, Before I (if I choose to do so) tear into the box, should I look for anything else?

I'd check for slop in all of the steering linkage, check for slop in the axle pivot ( I've seen enough slop in that area alone to make it bad ), and finally, I'd also check the " Kingpin " bushings where the spindles go into the axle..

Restrorob
06-23-2005, 07:12 AM
I'd check for slop in all of the steering linkage, check for slop in the axle pivot ( I've seen enough slop in that area alone to make it bad ), and finally, I'd also check the " Kingpin " bushings where the spindles go into the axle..

Couldn't have said it better myself !

BoogieDog
06-23-2005, 09:05 AM
I already isolated the axles as possible causes. As I said, there was some obvious play in the steering box and I snugged it up tight and am wondering about that side plate wear.

Restrorob
06-23-2005, 09:07 PM
I already isolated the axles as possible causes. As I said, there was some obvious play in the steering box and I snugged it up tight and am wondering about that side plate wear.

I looked a little closer and if you go to the pic. I posted and look at part reference #2 it appears to be a adjuster also with a jam nut, They call this part a cam follower. You may try to adjust this in a little at a time and see if it will take some more slack out,But keep track of how much you move it just in case it makes it worse,Then you can go back and live with the way it was.

You mite even take this follower out all the way and check for wear and compair it to the pic. you posted,If it shows alot of wear replace it and it mite do the job.