PDA

View Full Version : Finish Pics

mbella
06-09-2005, 07:55 PM
I started a thread a few weeks ago asking if anybody had cut the face off of retaining wall block in order to veneer a stoop. I think I said I would post finish pics. Here they are. On this one, we did the softscape as well.

I should add, we removed a concrete walkway. The 2B without fabric that you see in the before pic is from the initial concrete install. As you see in the later pic, we used fabric.

mbella
06-09-2005, 07:59 PM
Here is another before pic.

boatdude
06-09-2005, 09:00 PM
Really nice job...I bet the customer is really happy. BTW where did you get the pineapple? Keep up the great work.
bd

mbella
06-09-2005, 09:18 PM
Really nice job...I bet the customer is really happy. BTW where did you get the pineapple? Keep up the great work.
bd

We picked them the morning we started.

MarcusLndscp
06-09-2005, 10:56 PM
Beautiful work Mike :D

kris
06-10-2005, 07:02 AM
Looks good Mike and a good match for the house.

Electra_Glide
06-10-2005, 07:51 AM
Looks good Mike...

What did you use to attach the block to the stoop?

Joe

sgallaher
06-10-2005, 09:54 AM
Looks good. What type of adhesive did you use?

Braxton
06-10-2005, 10:44 AM
Looks good Mike...

What did you use to attach the block to the stoop?

Joe

And how did you get the upper layer to stay put until the adhesive dried?

Looks great.

Braxton

mbella
06-10-2005, 08:29 PM
And how did you get the upper layer to stay put until the adhesive dried?

Looks great.

Braxton

I think we used SRW, but I'm not sure. We use about three different adhesives. I am sure I used Gorilla Glue on all of the corner pieces. We adhere the perimiter pieces (bullnose) and dry lay the field pavers on the stoop.

We nail 2 x 4's to the stoop and pack it out until the support is wide enough to allow the face pieces to rest on them. Also, the block that we cut the rock faces off of is tapered from front to back. Putting the tapered side down allows the block to rest against the stoop. Finally, we put a brace against each piece of the face for twenty four hours.

cgland
06-11-2005, 07:10 PM
Great job Mike! Why are you using decorative stone as your base? :dizzy: I thought you knew how to install these things. :p

Chris

mbella
06-13-2005, 12:20 AM
Great job Mike! Why are you using decorative stone as your base? :dizzy: I thought you knew how to install these things. :p

Chris

Are you talking about the red aggregate punk? If so, I already told you it's my secret. Backoff!

Seriously, thanks.

Commonwealth LC
06-13-2005, 09:09 PM
Mike thats awesome work. That is the kind of great quality work that I want to be doing someday, after all this cutting work.

Josh

Also, where did you learn to do work like that? did you work for a contractor or goto nursery/landscaping workshops? Thanks!

mbella
06-13-2005, 09:45 PM
Looks good Mike and a good match for the house.

After it weathers, it will be a closer match.

GreenMonster
06-18-2005, 10:26 PM
Mike,

Interesting solution for dressing up the concrete stoop. I recently did a wall/patio hardscape where the remaining precast concrete stairs are quite an eyesore to the job. Unfortunately, customer exhausted their budget and the steps remain.

I guess my only criticism is that the two lower stairs and the walkway seem a bit narrow.

mbella
06-19-2005, 10:33 AM
Mark, we typically install our walkways at 44" wide. That walkway is 44" wide and the steps are 54" wide.

GreenMonster
06-19-2005, 10:26 PM
Well, those dimensions certainly seem sufficient! As usual, nice work Mike.

mbella
06-19-2005, 11:01 PM
Mark, I've heard others say, "I hate when the walkway is narrower than the steps." Visually, it doesn't bother me. I'm pretty picky, but it just doesn't bother me. A walkway that is too wide does bother me. Like I said, we usually stick to 44".

On this job, I felt like making the steps too wide would be too much. Especially because you immediately go into the curve after traveling down the steps.

Bull_11
06-20-2005, 12:44 AM
I was at a paver seminar this weekend and the folks from EP Henry were saying the standard sidewalk is 4' wide. Is this so...and if so, why do you cut yours down to 44"?

Just curious. I'm sure everyone has a different approach, so I'm just curious as to why you stick to 44".

Thanks,
Brian

bigviclbi
06-20-2005, 09:54 AM
I think EP HENRY means the standard sidewalk is 4' relates to the sidewalks by the road on the frontage of your house. Walkways or paths on the other hand can be any size the homeowner wants. I prefer 3' minimum if there is no soldier course, closer to 4' if there is one.