PDA

View Full Version : type of seed

sheshovel
06-10-2005, 04:29 AM
Got a call lady wants a low maintenance lawn that stays green winter and summer seeded on bank very hot summers,freezing but not much snow where she is.What kind of seed should I get?Evergreen lawn?And low maint?
Sounds like the impossible dream to me.Were talking CA zone 7

Pro-Scapes
06-10-2005, 06:10 AM
astro turf. stays green. works well on slopes and low maint lol... good luck with that. I would ALMOST recommend centipied. Cared for properly it can be a very nice looking lawn only needing mowing once every 2 to 3 weeks in some cases if you keep the N apps low

muddstopper
06-12-2005, 11:33 AM
You can try using western wheatgrass. different varities range from midly rhizomatus to agressive spreading. Cool season grass that is usually used as a pasture grass but is very drought tolerant, grows well in poor soil at elevations of 2000 to 9000 sqft and is a common grass from Texas to Canada. Most heat resistant and drought tolerant of all the cool season grasses. Seed cost are around $10 per lb but seed rates are extremly low. Best planted in eairly spring and late fall. Blueish green color. Due to its rhizomatus root system it has good erosion control properties.

sheshovel
06-13-2005, 02:32 AM
Thankyou for your recomondations men/

Lawn Sharks
06-21-2005, 11:29 AM
Centipede will go dormant and brown in Zone 7.