PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with carb rebuilding on hedge trimmers?

BryPaulD
06-10-2005, 02:52 PM
I have a set of Echo HC-1500 trimmers that I just got running but won't stay running or rev high. I just bought a carb rebuild kit and am going to rebuild it. I need to know approximately how many turns out from tight on the two needle screws labeled H and L. Thank you.

Lawn Masters
06-10-2005, 03:52 PM
Start.at.1.5.turns.from.a.LIGHTLY.seated.position.

BryPaulD
06-10-2005, 05:39 PM
Thank you. Is that for both? Should they both be the same? Thanks again

Restrorob
06-10-2005, 05:49 PM
Thank you. Is that for both? Should they both be the same? Thanks again

Yes both the same,But this is just a starting point to get it started, Then fine tune as needed.

BryPaulD
06-10-2005, 09:21 PM
Alright, I got it rebuilt and it fired for a brief second and now I can't get it running. I was wondering about a welch plug? Concave up or down? I put it in up. And When I took it apart, I didn't get an old one out, like it didn't have one or it was wedged in down so tight it actually looked like it was part of the housing. The new one did slide into a little groove though. Now the last bit, on the saskets on the bottom side I took out 2 a cardboard and rubber one. The new ones there are 3, a cardboard, rubber, and like a plasticy film negative like one. I did not put that one in. Any suggestions? Thanks again.

Restrorob
06-10-2005, 09:45 PM
Alright, I got it rebuilt and it fired for a brief second and now I can't get it running. I was wondering about a welch plug? Concave up or down? I put it in up. And When I took it apart, I didn't get an old one out, like it didn't have one or it was wedged in down so tight it actually looked like it was part of the housing. The new one did slide into a little groove though. Now the last bit, on the saskets on the bottom side I took out 2 a cardboard and rubber one. The new ones there are 3, a cardboard, rubber, and like a plasticy film negative like one. I did not put that one in. Any suggestions? Thanks again.

I'm not the two stroke joke in the shop I work at,But I did know the start-up adjustments and all welch plugs go in concave up then take a flat tip punch and tap the center to seat it in place. As for the gaskets I wouldn't want to tell you about in fear of miss information. If it was in my hand I could tell you,But I havn't done enough of them to explain.
SORRY !
Hopefully somebody will be along shortly that can help you.

ed2hess
06-11-2005, 11:40 AM
Since you got two units take the second carb apart to check how the parts go together(if you haven't pulled it apart yet).

BryPaulD
06-13-2005, 05:02 PM
I called for some parts for the thing and asked the mechanic some questions. Basically put the new one together how the old one was. So I did. It wouldn't fire up for the life of me. So I took a carb off of one of the other ones and put it on the machine, fired right up. Not sure if it runs right, but it idles (seems high) and it revs up. The blades always move, at idle and of course at full speed. Is it normal for the blades to always move?? Sorry, this is the first set of gas trimmers I've owned. Thank you :)

Lawn Masters
06-13-2005, 05:34 PM
No, the blades shouldnt move at idle, unless the clutch springs are worn out, or the engine idles high which will engage the clutch. richen the mix on the carb, turn the L screw out slightly, and see if that makes any difference.

ed2hess
06-13-2005, 07:08 PM
I called for some parts for the thing and asked the mechanic some questions. Basically put the new one together how the old one was. So I did. It wouldn't fire up for the life of me. So I took a carb off of one of the other ones and put it on the machine, fired right up. Not sure if it runs right, but it idles (seems high) and it revs up. The blades always move, at idle and of course at full speed. Is it normal for the blades to always move?? Sorry, this is the first set of gas trimmers I've owned. Thank you :)
To change idle on this unit you loosen the two nuts on the carb end of the bowden cable(cable with wire inside) and screw the nut on the carb side towards the carb. Then tighten the other side nut. I don't have a camera yet but hopes this helps. On the carb that won't work try blowing into the fuel inlet side to be sure that it will take in gas. Maybe take the bowl off and push the float up and down to be sure gas can get into the unit. Then take carb cleaner and be sure all the holes(poor word but) are unclogged. The one going up the center is critical.

BryPaulD
06-13-2005, 08:00 PM
Thank you for the replies. I will try the L screw, and as far as the cable, is that the one from the throttle? Comes from handle almost to carb and has a sharp bend in it and is fastened with the 2 nuts and the the cable comes out to the carb and hooks into the lil brass flathead screwdriver looking slot? Also this carb isn't a float bowl, it's just a tiny square box.