PDA

View Full Version : ? about shutting down a 23HP Toro Z Master

Gilla Gorilla
06-10-2005, 08:46 PM
I have a friend that just bought a new Toro Z Master with a 23 hp Kohler and he was telling me that the dealer told him to shut it down with the throttle at least 50% and up to 75%.

When he told me this I said that it did not sound rite to me so I asked my Exmark dealer today about that and they laughed and said that it is amazing how a guy that knows nothing about mowers can sell them still. I guess they know about this guy already. The mechanic at my dealer told me that when you shut it off at that throttle amount that it keeps letting fuel into the engine but you have not spark and can possibly blow out the baffles in the muffler. The Toro dealer said to do it this way to prevent the engine from not shutting down smoothly if you let it idle for a minute or so then shut it down and it will have a small backfire, nothing big just like a poof.

Anyways I am just posting this to see what some of you techs out there on this forum have to say about this.

Thanks for the replies.

Justin

riches139
06-10-2005, 09:44 PM
Let it idle for a short time to cool, then just shut down. Shouldn't backfire at all.

Restrorob
06-10-2005, 09:58 PM
Thats amazing and humoring that somebody would even think such a thing much less tell a customer this :dizzy:
ALWAYS run the engine down to idle for a few seconds before shut-down.

Gilla Gorilla
06-10-2005, 11:15 PM
I forgot to mention the main reason that the guy selling the Toro said to do it this way.

He says that there is a 1-100 chance that if you shut the engine down at idle the engine could backspin and bend a valve.

Restrorob
06-10-2005, 11:21 PM
I forgot to mention the main reason that the guy selling the Toro said to do it this way.

He says that there is a 1-100 chance that if you shut the engine down at idle the engine could backspin and bend a valve.

LIKE I SAID BEFORE ! :dizzy:

TLS
06-11-2005, 12:07 AM
The guy is RIGHT!

Proper procedure for NO backfires.

1) Mow lawn.

2) 3/4 throttle back to trailer

3) Down to idle once on trailer

4) Strap down and secure mower

5) Raise rear gate

6) Reach over and turn ignition switch OFF at the same time raising throttle to 1/2 or more.

Will NEVER backfire doing it this way.

C&KLawnCare
06-11-2005, 05:56 PM
[QUOTE]I forgot to mention the main reason that the guy selling the Toro said to do it this way.

He says that there is a 1-100 chance that if you shut the engine down at idle the engine could backspin and bend a valve[QUOTE]

Lmao ya have my permission to print what i am about to say and take it to that idiot dealer. Im suprised they let such a stupid person who dont even understand the basic operation of an engine be a sales man , Their is no way no how , zilch nadda no way no how , that any engine spun backwards would bend a valve , Hell their is diesel engines out their that if lugged or they catch just the odd way will run backwards till ya shut em down , what a friggen idiot .

ed2hess
06-11-2005, 08:46 PM
[QUOTE]I forgot to mention the main reason that the guy selling the Toro said to do it this way.

He says that there is a 1-100 chance that if you shut the engine down at idle the engine could backspin and bend a valve[QUOTE]

Lmao ya have my permission to print what i am about to say and take it to that idiot dealer. Im suprised they let such a stupid person who dont even understand the basic operation of an engine be a sales man , Their is no way no how , zilch nadda no way no how , that any engine spun backwards would bend a valve , Hell their is diesel engines out their that if lugged or they catch just the odd way will run backwards till ya shut em down , what a friggen idiot .
So the backfire won't cause any problem? I always shut down at full throttle to avoid the backfire.

TLS
06-11-2005, 11:53 PM
Backfires will cause harm to the muffler. In some engines (mine in particular) this can lead to loosening muffler debris and them sliding DOWN the exhaust pipes and into a valve.

No need to shut down at full throttle. Do as I said and see if it works for you.