PDA

View Full Version : Hardwood mulch=Termites?

Stuttering Stan
06-11-2005, 12:37 AM
Customer complained to me today the the Grade A hardwood mulch around the house has caused termites. I thought it was treated to RESIST termites. Anyone have ideas?

Coffeecraver
06-11-2005, 08:19 AM
Termites are subterranean. They are only attracted to wood fiber. True “bark” mulches are made from the bark on the trees and not the white wood that termites like to dine on.

Termites may have been present at the home before the mulch arrived.

Most mulch is aged and furrowed for a period of time to create intense heat and reduce or eliminate the probability of insects and disease in mulch.

:)

lucky4511
06-12-2005, 12:33 PM
The termite man who treated our house some 15 years ago said that the termites are there - and when we added bark chips to the flower beds it just called them closer. They were already in our home - some slight damage - and the beds did have rocks in them so we didn't notice them until we removed the rocks and added the wood mulch product.

Guthrie&Co
06-12-2005, 03:57 PM
Customer complained to me today the the Grade A hardwood mulch around the house has caused termites. I thought it was treated to RESIST termites. Anyone have ideas?
hardwoods will not resist termites like a pine mulch will. plus the pine is a better mulch to use.