PDA

View Full Version : JX75 engine question

cernysr
06-12-2005, 01:06 AM
I am in need of a mower in about two weeks and have always liked John Deere. I am looking at a $350 2002 JX75 with low hours and in excellent condition. I did notice that it is leaking oil at the front of the engine. I am debating on buying the mower and hoping for a simple gasket repair or whether to buy a Toro Recycler 20017 or a Toro Super Recycler 20055. Any suggestions would be helpful and I do have pictures of the engine if someone would like to take a look. Thanks in advance.[/IMG]

Restrorob
06-12-2005, 07:46 AM
Well it would be nice if you posted the engine model and spec. numbers,A pic. is fine also !

cernysr
06-12-2005, 11:26 AM
The John Deere is a 6hp Kawasaki engine with pressurized lubrication, blade brake clutch and aluminum deck. The John Deere dealer that has this mower for sale says that the mower was used by a residential customer as a trim mower only. The mower has no warranty from the dealer.

The Toro 20017 Recycler is $360 with a 2 year warranty, free $50 cordless trimmer and has a 6.5hp Tecumseh engine with a steel deck.

The Toro 20041 Recycler is $400 with a 2 year warranty, free $50 cordless trimmer and has a Briggs and Stratton side valve engine with a steel deck.

The Toro 20055 Super Recycler is $550 with a 5 year warranty, free $50 cordless trimmer and has a Briggs and Stratton side valve engine with an aluminum deck.

Anyone have comments on Toro’s personal pace system which the above three models have?

Restrorob
06-12-2005, 12:46 PM
I don't believe you wan't to monkey with the deere,Thats the sump gasket leaking which could take as long as 2hrs. to replace with all the clutches.
A good choice would be the Toro 20041 with the Briggs engine,Or the 20055 If you feel the longer warranty is worth the extra money. I just never thought Tecumseh engines are as good as the Briggs, But thats my opinion as a Service Technician !

Jason Rose
06-12-2005, 01:38 PM
for $350 and a couple hours of labor and a gasket you would have a basically new $900 mower with the deere. I have one and love it. I use it about 8 times a week on small stuff (about as much as a homeowner would use it in a week) I bought it USED 5 years ago (prolly 10 years old at least, silver deck, black handle) and it still starts on the first pull every time with no choke. the only thing it needs is new wheels as mine are bald and i get no traction, lol. other than that iv'e put a blade on it and the lower section of the handle broke, cost less than 25 bucks to replace. The kawisaki engine on those is bullet proof.

I have talked to guys that hate them though. they say the transmissions are always locking up and the blade clutch goes out. welp, they must have had a lemon, or I bought the only one that is perfect.

Smalltimer1
06-12-2005, 02:47 PM
I have a '99 model JX-85, I bought it at auction for $140 +tax. It runs great and is the best cutting mower I have.

As far as the one you're looking at and the gasket, offer the guy $250 and explain that since it needs work, that's as much as you can put in a leaker.

The only problem I've had with mine is that the drive control clutch lever keeps sliding out of the handle frame. I think the end cap got knocked off somehow, causing it to make it easier to slide out.

Other than that, mine's been great. The JX-85 was replaced by the JX-75 and they're identical I believe.

HK45Mark23
06-12-2005, 03:26 PM
They are not the same but close, the 85 was the pro. The 85 Has a steel lip, oil filter and metal wheels. Other than that they were the same.