PDA

View Full Version : replaced engine oil seal, still leaking?

burnandreturn
06-12-2005, 06:41 PM
I have a Kohler 25 hp vertical crank. "someone" overfilled the oil and it blew out the bottom oil seal. I pulled the old one out. Tapped in a new one. Filled with oil and it leaked without even starting the engine. No clue what to do. Any suggestions?

Restrorob
06-12-2005, 07:17 PM
I have a Kohler 25 hp vertical crank. "someone" overfilled the oil and it blew out the bottom oil seal. I pulled the old one out. Tapped in a new one. Filled with oil and it leaked without even starting the engine. No clue what to do. Any suggestions?

You probably rolled,cut or popped the spring out of the new seal when installing,The only thing you can do is try another. I have a set of seal protectors that slide into the seal and over the crank thus avoiding this problem.You mite ask you dealer if he has a old micro fiche card you could have,Cut a strip of it just wide enough to make one wrap around the crank and this will protect the seal when installing.
I use a piece of pvc pipe the same size as the seal with a cap on the end for installation.