PDA

View Full Version : generator in wheelbarrow for shrubs?

David Grass
06-13-2005, 08:55 PM
I have seen some landscapers with generators they roll in wheel barrow, with electric sheers (good ones like Makita). Seems like a good idea, cuz the gas powered get heavy after an hour or so. Anyone doing this ? comments?

olderthandirt
06-13-2005, 09:02 PM
I think what you saw were the local lawn boys LOL

BCSteel
06-13-2005, 09:10 PM
If someone cant use a pair of gas trimmers for more than an hour they need a desk job pushing a pencil.

hosejockey2002
06-13-2005, 09:40 PM
I think that has to be the silliest idea I've ever heard of. :dizzy: If someone can't handle a "heavy" gas hedge trimmer why on earth would they want to hump a generator all over the place in a wheelbarrow and fight with a cord? I think olderthandirt had it right, lawnboys getting by with the crap they found in Dad's garage.

Jay Ray
06-14-2005, 12:45 AM
Saw an "LCO" using what appeared to be a 100' ext cord with a Black & Decker electric hedger. Wasn't long and he had it capsized, kinked, and tied in knots. At least with a generator the cord could be kept short.

Personally, I wouldn't use anything but a gas headger. No setup, ready right out of the rack, much faster, less hassle. The only downside is mixing the fuel. And must admit it does get heavy after a couple hours.

MarcSmith
06-14-2005, 07:03 AM
I have always been a fan of the gas trimmers...when I was a young boy my folkd had a set of electric shears and I have no idea how many cords i cut. Here at G-town all they have is the Little wonder electric shears and a couple of generators....I wont buy any more generators and I wont buy any more electric trimmers....Heck the little wonders cost almost as much as a set of gas shears.....

freddyc
06-14-2005, 11:43 AM
good idea, why don't they use their electric trimmer while they're at it???? They are lighter than the gas jobs too.

Evan528
06-14-2005, 07:08 PM
I actually prefer my little wander electric hedge shears to my gas redmax trimmers I own. They are mulch lighter and I feel leave a crisper cut. They have though been hanging on a hook for about 5 years due to the hassle of worrying about an extension cord. I still see many large professional companys using the little wander electric trimmers with generators. Quite honestly Id probly still be using them if I was still doing the majority of the trimming myself. Those heavy gas trimmers do a number on my back after a few hours of maneuvering them.

jpp
06-14-2005, 07:18 PM
We use two gas powered hedge trimmers. Stihl and a shindaiwa. Works great and saves time hauling that dang generator.

Mowman29
06-19-2005, 12:28 PM
Tanaka makes great clippers 2 year commerical warrentee. The best on the market. They are light weight and cut very nice I had a new pair os stilhs last year and they was junked before the end of the season heavy also. they only have a 90 day commerical warrentee.

fixer67
06-19-2005, 10:26 PM
I have seen more than one generator in wheelbarrow blown up. They do not set level and generators are ment to be sitting level when running. Now with that said get a load of this mess. My step-dad use to work (now retired) for the city of Hendersonville NC City Maintenance. They go the bright idea one year to buy electric sting trimmers to do the city cemetery instead of buying new gas trimmers. They had have a dozen generators they were not using and the electric trimmers were a lot cheaper than the gas. It look funny seeing 5 people with electric sting trimmers and 100' drop cord all running of the samegenerator in a wheelbarrow. Needless to say this idea did not last long. People driving by starting calling city hall waiting to know what was going on. They wanted to know where the tax money was going and why these grown men was out there like a bunch of kids with toys from Wal-Mart trying to tirm 70 acres. All 5 electric trimmers burned up in less than 2 weeks. The motors just melted from over use. For a home onwer to use a generator in wheelbarrow it is one thing but unless you want to be the laughing stock of the LCO world do not use a set up like that.

coastallandscapesolutions
06-19-2005, 10:30 PM
You've gotta be kidding. Geezzz... why not use a helicopter to raise you so you can cut the top of the shrubs too.

Petr51488
06-19-2005, 10:39 PM
Sad to say this.. but thats what i do.. My generator stays in front of my trailer. (enclosed) I only have one house that i use the hedge trimmers for..So whats the sense of buying gass powered trimmer for 300.00? I know its not the most professional thing to see but it works for me..

jimmbo407
06-19-2005, 11:14 PM
I have seen some landscapers with generators they roll in wheel barrow, with electric sheers (good ones like Makita). Seems like a good idea, cuz the gas powered get heavy after an hour or so. Anyone doing this ? comments?
I sometimes use an electric hedge trimmer to keep the noise down for customers that sleep during the day, and I think they do a better job on smaller hedges. But I dont think I would use a generator for power just the outside outlet on the customers home.