PDA

View Full Version : Deere LX 188 lawn Tractor Problem

jud149
06-14-2005, 11:09 PM
The problem I'm having involves erratic speed which only happens when the tractor has been run for over a half hour or so. It never happens when cold or when at full throtle. What takes place is when you back off the throtle to say 1/2, power to the axle drops to zero for a couple of seconds and then sharply engages. I have replaced the shock absorber (throtle dampener) which has not helped. (The Deere manual indicates this part could cause erratic speed problems). The mower has been doing this for a couple of years now (mower used for my residence only, maybe 50 hours per year.) The problem started all at once and has not gotten any worse. Any ideas would be appreciated.

grass_cuttin_fool
06-15-2005, 01:31 PM
I have the same mower but never have had any problems, Im wondering if there isnt enuff RPM's to keep enuff fluid going to the hydro motor, Have you checked or changed the fluid filter?

jud149
06-15-2005, 04:10 PM
I have the same mower but never have had any problems, Im wondering if there isnt enuff RPM's to keep enuff fluid going to the hydro motor, Have you checked or changed the fluid filter?

I have changed the fluid but not the filter as I didn't want to open the casing. Have you done this, and if so, is it fairly uncomplicated? I have the manual but it does not outline the procedure.