PDA

View Full Version : Wall Repair What do you THink?????

tjcezar
06-15-2005, 07:38 AM
Hey Guys take a look at this wall a customer of mine wants me to repair. They are just looking to do a quick fix so it looks more presentable. Damaged area is about 10-15' l X 5' h. I would be using a kubota loader backhoe to cut the wall back and restack the stones. I know it will be a pain since the damage is in the middle of the wall but this is a good customer and I want to give them the best price. They are not gonna be real picky either since they just want it to not look so bad. What kind of time do you think I am looking? 2 men(w/bakhoe) @ 8hrs . Let me know your input on this project. Thanks!

rocker
06-15-2005, 01:44 PM
If all they want is a quick fix it appears to me from the pics 2 of you with a tractor ( although Id be careful pawing at the wall with a backhoe or else you might find yourself rebuilding more of the wall than you would like. :cry: ) shouldnt take more than a half a day or so, depending on your experience.
Good Luck

nocutting
06-15-2005, 01:47 PM
Why Fix It?......looks really old to me, areas pretty messy, is it causein a problem to anybody?.......Unless your a stone mason, I would'nt touch that job....How old are your clients?.......If you're just lookin to help them out?....than just leave it alone!.....I can see you make'in a bigger mess than already exsists here now.........Considering the pictures you posted, why bother wastein their money and your time? :rolleyes:

neversatisfiedj
06-15-2005, 01:49 PM
alot of labor there

mbella
06-15-2005, 04:27 PM
Run the other way. There's no quick fix for that mess.

tjcezar
06-16-2005, 07:25 AM
basically the stones fell in about 2 ft and it needs to be pushed back because there is a wall on both sides ands you can not get through the narrow driveway with a car. Also I try to never run away from any job because everything can be done, the only thing that changes is the price. I was thinking about 1 full day w/ 2 men and bkhoe. To be safe though I will probably try to just get an hourly rate for any unforseen circumstances. For all you guys that were running away why not just do T&M, stick 2 guys on it and count your $$$$$$$$$. If it takes 2 weeks and the customer wants that then do it. Work is work no matter how you look at it! I love meeting a customer that has been turned down by other services cause they are willing to pay just about anything to have the work done and are always extremely gratefull when the job is complete.

mbella
06-16-2005, 08:19 AM
I said run because the customer wants a quick fix. There isn't one. It doesn't sound like you know what it will take to properly fix the wall. If you don't do it right and it falls again, who's responsible?

You sound more concerned with keeping it cheap than doing it right.

greywynd
06-16-2005, 09:45 AM
I basically only do excavating and hardscape work, when someone asks about a 'quick fix' I just shake my head. Then I looked at your pictures, from the looks of that site, there hasn't been anyone trying to get a car through for some time. Also, when a wall has 'fell in' like that, something wasn't done right in the first place. If you do a 'quick fix' and it gives out again, you could be held liable. The closest I came to a job like that was one where they asked me to do the removal with the equipment, remove the collapsed material, and the customer then rebuilt the wall themselves. With that case, I had removed any future liability from myself, because I didn't build the wall. I also take pictures of all my jobs before/after I work, for several reasons. One of which is to show exactly what I did.

mcclureandson
06-19-2005, 05:40 PM
You can tell just by looking at the pics these people don't care enough to pay for a complete, competent job. It's a mistake to begin working to other people's standards...you will be remembered for the poor work regardless of whose idea it was...