PDA

View Full Version : Engine trouble with Echo SRM 230 trimmer-please help

Eho
06-15-2005, 06:06 PM
My echo trimmer is only about four months old and has been doing a great job, but today I ran into a problem. The engine powered-down on as if it was out of gas and stopped running.I check and there was plenty of gas in there...tried to start it up and it powered down again Does this mean that exhaust is dirty and needs cleaning? I know it needs it on a regular basis but could this be what causes the problem
EHO

ed2hess
06-15-2005, 06:45 PM
I don't think it is the spark arrestor at this point. Does the unit start and idle? There are two adjustment screws you might need to give it a little gas by rotating the low setting CCW. That should help it start if that is the problem.

Eho
06-15-2005, 08:20 PM
I m not sure if it is the spark arestor either...in the past that has resulted in a lack of power...this is different. Like I said, it seems like it is running out of gas. I got it to start up for about 15 seconds before the engine died again. I ll try to do some work on it tomorrow and let u know how it goes. Thanks
EHO

Lawn Masters
06-15-2005, 09:04 PM
This sounds like a carb issue to me. exactly what kind I cant say without having the machine in front of me to look at. possibly a clogged screen in the carb. they're made with a fuel filter on the pickup in the tank, but some small crap does get by them, which is why there's a small screen in the carb to filter it out. perhaps this is blocked and is preventing your machine from running properly.

ed2hess
06-15-2005, 09:44 PM
Start with new gas/oil mix but check the fuel filter to be sure it is okay. Spray some quick start into the carb after removing the air filter. What happens when you do this might help further analysis.

Lawn Masters
06-15-2005, 10:04 PM
Oh, while you're at it, try a new sparkplug, and replace the fuel filter completely, same for the air filter. if that doesnt solve it, thats part of one system ruled out, I doubt ignition is the source of the problem but check for BLUE spark, yelllowish orange is not acceptable as it is a sign of a weak/defective coil.

One other thing, has anyone else messed with your carburetor adjustment screws recently?

Tider6972
06-16-2005, 08:23 AM
4 months old? Under warranty?

Don't screw it up, take it to your dealer, tell him the symptoms, and he'll get you going.

Bet it'll start and run cold, still, let your dealer repair it.