PDA

View Full Version : Peeled The Bark

riches139
06-15-2005, 09:17 PM
I hit a 4" buckeye tree with the left rear castor wheel on my deck. It split and peeled the bark up about 18" from the base of the tree. Will I be in trouble with this, or will it just heal itself? :cry:

Customer wasn't too happy. :angry:

Guthrie&Co
06-16-2005, 02:26 AM
more than likely it will hurt the tree. it takes years for a tree to seal it self back up. by the way the "tree wound paints'' are useless. studies have shown that it takes longer for the tree to heal when they are applied

Coffeecraver
06-16-2005, 06:41 AM
Can you post a picture of the damage?

Remove the loose bark. Jagged edges can be cut away with a sharp knife.
use a linoleum knife.

Cut around the wound to the healthy bark.
Take care not to cut into living tissues.

scabyscapes is right about the dressings

:)

GreenUtah
06-16-2005, 12:30 PM
18 inches up on a 4 inch tree is a pretty serious amount of damage. I agree with coffee about carefully cutting the bark back with a sharp knife to try to eliminate any more lift points. Grass is no friend of trees, kill out a circle around the bases and mulch around the trees to protect the rest from any damage from mowers or trimmers. Keep a close eye on insect activity on this tree and if the damaged area is on the southern side, you may want to think about a protective wrap (not paint) over the soft wood to protect it from the sun.

riches139
06-16-2005, 08:59 PM
Thanks guys for the info.
This happened a week ago, didn't know I did it at the time.
Customer didn't notice it either for a few days.

The inner soft tissue that is visible has already dried and hardened. Tree is not wilting or showing any stress signs. Damage is on the west side. :confused:

KenH
06-17-2005, 11:54 PM
The inner soft tissue that is visible has already dried and hardened. :confused:

CODIT----Compartmentalization Of Decay in Trees.

The tree is healing itself, so says Dr Shigo.

sheshovel
06-20-2005, 05:21 AM
What about the split,sometimes a splint can be applied and wrapped on from below the split to above the split with wide tree tape an the tree will grow back together.I don't wanna hear it guys I have done this before more than one time and it works sometimes in a bad situation like you have.

GLC51
06-26-2005, 02:28 AM
The wound may heal itself or not. You could try to cut away the rough edges. Pantyhose is great for tying it up , get a shade that matches as best as you can. It's made of nylon and won't rot in the sunlight and is porus so it can breathe and has some give to it so it won't get too tight. Get some grafting wax and heat it up to make it soft and smear it on the tear. It will keep the insects and crap out of the wound and hopfully in time the bark will knit itself back together. Worth a shot and it looks like you are trying to repair the damage to the customer, much better than oops sorry about that.