PDA

View Full Version : Exmark 48 - GOOD/BAD?

Jason Pallas
02-28-2001, 07:46 PM
I'm thinking about buying a belt drive 48" Exmark (Metro). I'd like some feedback from fellow LAWNSITE inmates as to their good/bad experiences with the machine. Your input is really valued. Thanks. Let me know what you do and don't like about the machine.

kutnkru
02-28-2001, 07:54 PM
The only negative thing i have found with these units is on ours(older models) that the tubing for the handle bars is not as sturdy asa that of the Scag. Outside of this minor flaw the units provide about the highest quality of cut you could find in the market.

Kris

RB
02-28-2001, 07:58 PM
If the 48" cuts like their 36" Metro I'd tell ya to buy it!

ron

Scape Sculptor
02-28-2001, 10:30 PM
It is a great machine. I have two of them. Real nice cut. Alot of machine for the buck...

65hoss
02-28-2001, 10:38 PM
I have the same machine in the 36", other than the kawi carb problem that I'm dealing with now it is awesome. I had a 36" Honda trugear before that and it cuts better and faster blade speed. I would give it a thumbs up! :)

Groundcover Solutions
02-28-2001, 10:46 PM
if it is economical at all look into a hydro

turfcat75
02-28-2001, 10:59 PM
I have a exmark viking hydro i love it...its a 1999 model bought it brand new from a dealer last year..bought it for 1,950..what a steal,huh

Island Lawn
02-28-2001, 11:07 PM
I got a 48" metro HP a couple of weeks ago.

Flawless.

Big, giant, super-duper upgrade from the 21" crapsman I started w/ last year

Premo Services
03-01-2001, 12:18 AM
I have a turf tracer 48 in. hydro with 800 hrs. and it is runnung strong.I like the cut,last year started using the micro mulch kit and it is awesome for leaves. I personaly prefer the hydro unit,for when it is wet and easier to zero turn,and back up.

Jason Pallas
03-01-2001, 09:53 AM
I would get the Hydro if it were going on my crew - but this mower is for one of my other crews - so they'll be getting the belt drive (no need to spoil them).
I'm also thinking of picking up one of those Landscaper Supply 48 belt drives - they're cheap as hell - I can pick one up for $1700 (minus the engine) and throw on a 14 kaw that I just rebuilt last weekend. The Rep says that they're 90% Scag - just private labeled.

kutnkru
03-01-2001, 10:43 AM
I would demo a LS mower and then go demo the Scag. I think you will find as have alot of others that there is a night and day difference between the two.

As far as not spending for the hydro, if you have mostly wet conditions as we do here in the NE then you cannot afford to be w/o a hydro. Afterall, when we can mow in the rain when the belt drives are crusing back to the shop with half empty pockets ours continue to fill.

Just my .02
Kris

thefarmer4
03-01-2001, 02:32 PM
I have a 48" Metro The quality of cut is good and controls nicely. I have the mulch set up that has cut labor down for us. I have mowed in the rain with it. As long as you have it adjusted good you will have limited slippage. You can only mow in the rain for so long before you start tearing up the grass.

If your going to use a velke get a hydro.

Scott H
03-01-2001, 05:29 PM
I have two 36" metro's, one of which is almost 10 years old. It stills runs great and gives a good cut. I have never really had any major problems with it either. Exmarks are great machines, I would buy it.

Scott

65hoss
03-01-2001, 06:23 PM
I use my hydro style sulky behind my 36" metro all the time. I've never had any problems.

Jason Pallas
03-01-2001, 06:27 PM
We've been running belts (Buntons) for years - never really had a problem with slippage. If the belts are adjusted right, they'll work well in the wet. When it gets to wet to mow with belts, the lawns look like crap anyway - just spraying out clumps and green goo.
I do like the hydros for other reasons though and by no means and by no means am I knocking them.
As per the Landscaper Supply mower - I'd really like to demo them - but there's no way to (real draw back). I'd really like to see the thing instead of talking to a rep, looking on the net or looking in the catalog. That's a real drawback. It'll probably keep me from buying the mower for good or bad. I'd just like to be able to see it.