PDA

View Full Version : spark plug adapter use

rbig
06-17-2005, 12:05 PM
I recently put a couple of gizmos in that raise the spark plugs up, in my Kohler twin. I'd never heard of these, but am given to understand they've been in widespread use for years, in engines with an oil burning problems. Their main purpose is to reduce oil fouling plug failure. These are little adapters that screw into the plug hole, and then the plug screws into them. Seems that they do provide a shield around the plug tips.

Since putting them in my Kohler twin, I noted a distinct dropoff in max power it would make. It ran smooth, but wouldn't make the normal max power. So, questions:

1. Is it unusual for there to be a power drop when using these?

2. Doesn't the use of these effectively change the heat range of the plugs? Seems it would make 'em run cooler since the plug tips are moved away from piston TDC.

Thoughts and comments appreciated.

Jman
06-17-2005, 12:40 PM
Of course power loss will be there. The spark plug tips are no where near the fuel that it needs to ignite. Spark plugs have a different "reach" to put the tips into the area where the fuel is at. The device keeps the tips cleaner because they are not near the burning area of the combustion chamber.

betterlawn
06-17-2005, 12:53 PM
There seem to be a lot of "gimmick" devices out there. The fact is they are all ruining the "engineering" that went into the design of the device they are being installed on. New engines in good repair can only be harmed. Old engines that would otherwise be scrapped are different - then you've got nothing to lose.

If all these "addons" worked so good, why don't the OEM's market them or incorporate them into the original design?

rbig
06-17-2005, 01:32 PM
Thanks. That tallies with my thinking, exactly. I put the adapters in to get past a little oil burning toot the engine decided to go on. And, it seems to have worked for that purpose.

I'll be pulling the adapters off this afternoon, and sticking the plugs back in.

turf9
06-17-2005, 02:09 PM
Thanks. That tallies with my thinking, exactly. I put the adapters in to get past a little oil burning toot the engine decided to go on. And, it seems to have worked for that purpose.

I'll be pulling the adapters off this afternoon, and sticking the plugs back in.

plus try hotter plugs if they make them.

cndhaines
06-17-2005, 04:07 PM
that is the automotive term for them. yes u will loose power cause u are moving the spark flame front away from the combustion chamber,also u are causing the ign system to produce more voltage so u are wearing out your ign modual and your coil. if u have to use then either rebuild it or sell it

chris

topsites
06-17-2005, 10:56 PM
There seem to be a lot of "gimmick" devices out there. The fact is they are all ruining the "engineering" that went into the design of the device they are being installed on. New engines in good repair can only be harmed. Old engines that would otherwise be scrapped are different - then you've got nothing to lose.

If all these "addons" worked so good, why don't the OEM's market them or incorporate them into the original design?

I agree. If it burns, let it burn but keep running it the way it was meant to be ran. If it fouls too many plugs, well then maybe you need a mew notor.