PDA

View Full Version : soil sterilants

Ssouth
02-28-2001, 09:39 PM
I need to apply a soil sterilant to a clay tennis court and was wandering if any of you use this type of product.. If so what, where do you get it, and how much does it cost.

bob
02-28-2001, 10:58 PM
There is a product called Sahara. Try Lesco.

awm
02-28-2001, 11:08 PM
Johnson and Johnson use to put out dead zone.
Be careful with this one,it can travel.

Ssouth
02-28-2001, 11:16 PM
awm, do you mean that the aforementioned Sahare will travel. If so, approx. how many feet. In the past this area has been sterilized every year for the past eight yrs. that I know of. Could I possibly use a growth inhibitor because over the past year the only thing green I have seen on the clay is a little moss around the perimeter. Any advice on this subject would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Ssouth

awm
02-28-2001, 11:32 PM
I really have limited knowlege about growth inhibitors
The product I used was so deadly an long lasting
that I ask my super to get rid of it.The guys working
off my license would really damage a landscape.
There may be products now that are more area specific
and dont leach all over creation.Wish I could help you
more as I understand what your up against.

Ssouth
03-02-2001, 08:41 PM
just wanted to bring this back up to see if I can get any more responces. Any help would be appreciated

JimLewis
03-02-2001, 11:04 PM
I guess I've never used or heard of a sterilant. What's the difference between that and a pre-emergent?

MikeGA
03-02-2001, 11:58 PM
What part of North Alabama? If East, call Helena Chemical, Im sure they are all across Alabama, but I deal with the one in Centre. Try UAP (United Agri Products) around Athens Alabama. Any of the Big Ag Chemical Dealers should be able to help you alot better than Wal-mart, Home Depot, etc.

awm
03-03-2001, 12:27 AM
They are similar.I dont keep upwith it much anymore
but understand pre m can be selective.
A stirilant just renders soil unable to produce any
plant for a specified time.I know the only thing I ever thought it was good for was cracks in pavement etc.
To use enough to neutralise a clay court I would have to
put in a block around the court.Hopefully this would
keep it out of desirable plant areas as it spreads
will even travel along roots.IM NOT EVEN SURE THEY MAKE
DEAD ZONE ANYMORE
Ssouth what about a deep edging.

HOMER
03-03-2001, 02:19 AM
I did a mini search and somewhere some guy said safety salt was a better soil sterilant than herbicieds. Don.t know much about this but try safety salt, whatever that is.

Russ
03-03-2001, 08:34 AM
I've used Ortho Trilox on a gravel baseball diamond with moderate results. Its supposed to be good for a year but I usually get breakthrew in about 2 months from summer annuals. Found that a combination of Trilox and Snapshot works best in this area. Trilox does travel and I dont know about using it on a clay soil ( run off from low infultration rate of clay). I may try the Lesco product this year.

Premo Services
03-03-2001, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by jimlewis
I guess I've never used or heard of a sterilant. What's the difference between that and a pre-emergent?

The difference is that a pre emergent can be used the on grasses,landscape areas to help with weeds growing in them,and the sterilant would keep everything from growing,
Some years ago I worked for a Industrial Weed Control Company and that is the only thing that we used,a product called Karmex is what was used a lot,probally because of price. The problems with sterilants is that they leach real bad, we would have to do the fence lines of property and when you would come back to get what had grown,which was not nmuch if it was applied right,you could see the way it leached from where you had put it down.If there was weeds growing you would use selective herbicide with the karmex to kill the green.

bam
03-03-2001, 05:46 PM
There are a few different soil sterilants out there. Most do leach and depending on the type of application and cost factor would dictate which one to purchase. If you have a Lesco near you, go there and purchase the product. They'll have several options available.

As another post suggested, applying salt inhibits weed growth. We will salt baseball diamonds several times during the season to help in maintaining it. That may be an option for a clay tennis ct., but I'm not sure.

And a soil sterilant, stops all growth from occuring in that soil for a minimum of the time specified on the label of the chemical, possibly longer. They are dangerous, in the sense that if you "mis apply" it, and leaching occurs, the adjacent turf or ornamentals will also suffer.

A pre emergent is a chemical that is applied to turf or ornamental beds to prevent the growth of select grasses and weeds. It usually is less drastic than applying a sterilant and has a shorter effective period.

NeilG
03-03-2001, 06:00 PM
Ssouth, I've used Sahara in the past, and it was very effective. However I was spraying gravel storage lots, and drift and leeching were not a problem. I will say this, I sprayed a small area in my yard with it last April, and NOTHING has grown in that spot since, even the common bermuda will not creep into the place that I sprayed. The major concern that my customers had was Kudzu, and it realy did the trick on it. Depending on what you are spraying with, be very certain that you clean the tank and system VERY good.
NG

GroundKprs
03-03-2001, 07:36 PM
Two basic sterilants:

Sahara - AI: imazapyr + diuron - newer product, think is still just available in DG formulation.

Pramitol - AI: prometon - long used for sterilant, comes in EC and pellet formulations.

See labels at http://www.greenbook.net/free.asp . Just type in brand names above in search box. Need Acrobat Reader.

We have used Pramitol 25E for years with only slight runoff problems in first few years. Key is to apply at rates suggested. Over application seems more susceptable to runoff. Almost all chemical labels caution about runoff, to absolve mfr from liability. Proper use rarely results in runoff. Do not expect to get 12 months effect with one application. Both these products will kill existing vegetation and prevent growth for many months. They would seem to be great for fencelines, building edges, and such, but using on soil long term tends to cause erosion in our area. Stopped doing a fenceline after 5-6 yrs because soil was getting washed away from under fence. Somewhere without much rain may not be so affected. Best use is in gravel, crushed stone drives and parking areas. Would probably also be good for clay based playing surfaces.

[Edited by GroundKprs on 03-03-2001 at 11:41 PM]