PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki FJ180V Engine

mcdansley
06-17-2005, 07:18 PM
I have a Kawasaki 6hp Engine (FJ180V) on a 21" commercial Snapper mulcher. I'm starting to smell gasoline in the oil reservoir. The engine has approx. 10 hrs. on it, and the oil and filter was changed at the 5 hr. point (break- in). Is this smell in the oil common? I'm using Valvoline 10W30.

Restrorob
06-17-2005, 08:15 PM
I have a Kawasaki 6hp Engine (FJ180V) on a 21" commercial Snapper mulcher. I'm starting to smell gasoline in the oil reservoir. The engine has approx. 10 hrs. on it, and the oil and filter was changed at the 5 hr. point (break- in). Is this smell in the oil common? I'm using Valvoline 10W30.

When you smell the fuel is the oil level higher than normal ? If so you could have a problem with the float valve in the carb.,A peice of trash ect. could be holding it open. I wouldn't run the unit until it is checked over,Because warrenty will not cover a blown engine from fuel contamination in the crankcase via trash in the carb. .

txlawnking
06-17-2005, 09:54 PM
If it has one. My older Kawi's on my prolines will flood the engine if I drive the truck around for a while. The motion of the truck seems to unseat the needles and will do the same thing. I just close the valves when I load up and no more contaminated oil..

mcdansley
06-17-2005, 11:06 PM
The oil level may be a little high. If pour some of it out, will that fix the problem?

Restrorob
06-17-2005, 11:34 PM
The oil level may be a little high. If pour some of it out, will that fix the problem?

No if the level is high its probably fuel in it, Thats causing the high reading on the stick,If you don't haul the unit around on a trailer the carb. probably needs to be checked for trash and cleaned,That should fix the problem then the oil and filter needs to be changed again to get the fuel out of the crankcase. DO NOT run the engine with the fuel in the oil.

mcdansley
06-18-2005, 03:56 PM
I took it to the shop today and the mechanic indicated that it could be the same problem that you mentioned. Since this is a new engine, hopefully it will be covered under the warranty. By the way, I would like to start using a synthetic oil in this engine. How many hours should the engine have on it before I make the change?

Thanks.

Restrorob
06-18-2005, 06:59 PM
I took it to the shop today and the mechanic indicated that it could be the same problem that you mentioned. Since this is a new engine, hopefully it will be covered under the warranty. By the way, I would like to start using a synthetic oil in this engine. How many hours should the engine have on it before I make the change?

Thanks.

Sorry I don't believe in spending money on synthetic oils,I was a Auto Service Technician for over 12yrs. before changing professions,At that time I witnessed the results of many brands of oils and the ONLY one for me is Castrol GTX.