PDA

View Full Version : To be read by all professionals

Ocutter
02-28-2001, 08:53 PM
My sister sent me this inspirational story and I thought it would be a good thing to pass along to the pros in here. It will be posted in my garage soon when the peak season hits and times are hectic.

An elderly carpenter was ready to retire. He told his employer-contractor of his plans to leave the house-building business and live a more leisurely life with his wife enjoying his extended family. He would miss the paycheck, but he needed to retire. They could get by.

The contractor was sorry to see his good worker go and asked if he could build just one more house as a personal favor. The carpenter said yes, but in time it was easy to see that his heart was not in his work. He resorted to shoddy workmanship and used inferior materials. It was an unfortunate way to end a dedicated career.

When the carpenter finished his work the employer came to inspect the house. He handed the front door key to the carpenter. "This is your house," he said, "my gift to you."

The carpenter was shocked! What a shame! If only he had known he was building his ow house, he would have done it all so differently. So it is with us. We build our lives, one dy at a time, often putting less than our best into the building. Then with a shock we realize we have to live in the house we have built. If we could do it over, we'd do it much differently. But we cannot go back.

You are the carpenter. Each day you hammer a nail, place a board, or erect a wall. "Life is a do-it-yourself project," someone has said. Your attitudes and the choices you make today, build the "house" you live in tomorrow. Build wisely.

Good luck to all this season.

John DiMartino
02-28-2001, 08:56 PM
That is so so true,those who think they are cheating someone else-find out late that they only cheated themselves.

Eric ELM
02-28-2001, 09:23 PM
The Carpenter Contractor I worked for didn't hand me the key on the last one I built. :mad:

This is a good point in this message. Glad I got a chance to read it and hope others do too. ;)

HOMER
02-28-2001, 09:27 PM
Very well said...............and read. Build your house on a rock, not shifting sand.

MOW ED
02-28-2001, 09:47 PM
http://www.thehouseontherock.com

I did like the post.

awm
02-28-2001, 10:04 PM
different ways to be smart.this is the best way.GOOD POST
A MANS WORK IS HIS MARK ON LIFE,HIS SIGNATURE.

Scott Campbell
02-28-2001, 10:16 PM
Nice story.

Ocutter
03-01-2001, 08:38 AM
Just want to put this up at the top again in case somone missed it.

kutnkru
03-01-2001, 09:04 AM
Kris

Mark
03-01-2001, 12:19 PM
Very wise and so truthful. I will liken him unto a wise man which built his house upon a rock. And he doeth them not shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand. To get it right we should take no shortcuts, but alaways do the best job we can. Marks Mowing Service

thefarmer4
03-01-2001, 02:18 PM
I know of a farmer who helped out another old farmer with his work. He never expected anything in return. When the old the old farmer died he left all his farm land to him. I was very surprised when I heard how he had got the property.

Makes you realize its not all about Money.

Living you life in the right way for the right reasons is the important thing.