PDA

View Full Version : How should I go about seeing sod?

1BadHawk
06-17-2005, 11:40 PM
A customer if mine had sod put down about two years ago. Little maintenance was done and a lot of it has died off. To look at it now it looks like a babies head. Very thin, fine grass blades, and a light coat of thatch.

She wants the lawn thick again. I dont imagine aeration is necessary, but I was thinking more along the lines of maual dethatching with some hand rakes and a moderate overseeding. What would be some ways I could put the seed down. I was thinking of a slit seeder, perhaps just spreading it with a spreader? She now has an irrigation system installed and can water at any time. The yard is probably only about 700 sq ft.

sildoc
06-17-2005, 11:59 PM
700 sq ft I would use a rake to dethatch just quick. Then aerate, fert and over seed. I say aerate because if it is sod then I am guessing that she wanted the cheapest price to begin with and will need lime app(if in clay soil) and fert with it. to many variables to tell for sure.
Do a soil test first. Start there and add to it.

1BadHawk
06-18-2005, 11:03 AM
Sounds good, thats about what I was thinking.

muddstopper
06-20-2005, 06:50 PM
will need lime app(if in clay soil)
Interesting blanket statement. Sounds if you are saying that all clay soils are low in Ph and calcium content. You might want to restructure your response because that answer, as stated, is incorrect.

sildoc
06-20-2005, 11:58 PM
Interesting blanket statement. Sounds if you are saying that all clay soils are low in Ph and calcium content. You might want to restructure your response because that answer, as stated, is incorrect.
Hmm apparently you did not read the entire statement. As Stated do a soil test first.
Yes most clay soils are low on the PH scale as turf grass goes.

sheshovel
06-23-2005, 01:34 AM
Sildoc I beg to differ,clay soils have the most nutrients and minerals...... next to good loam.

sildoc
06-23-2005, 10:49 PM
Sildoc I beg to differ,clay soils have the most nutrients and minerals...... next to good loam.
Nutrients and minerals have nothing to do with PH. Orange juice is high in nutreints and minerals but has an acidic ph. Urine does also but ranges at a 7.0 ph. It all depends on what the plant is that you are planting. azalias and rodies love acidic soil. Turf grass(like we are talking) like a slight acidic soil 5.5-6.5. Most clay soils that I see run right at 4.0-4.5.
Again like I say do a soil test first and figure out the exact amount of lime you will need.

sheshovel
06-26-2005, 01:57 PM
The higher organic matter content and the more nutreints and minerals the soil contains,the higher the PH usually is..at least that's what I have found.Weather or not it has anything to do with it or not.

sildoc
06-26-2005, 03:41 PM
The higher organic matter content and the more nutreints and minerals the soil contains,the higher the PH usually is..at least that's what I have found.Weather or not it has anything to do with it or not.
You are right. However I don't know about your clay, but ours is very low in organic material. Thus it is called Clay and not Loam.

muddstopper
06-27-2005, 06:05 PM
Hmm apparently you did not read the entire statement. As Stated do a soil test first.
Yes most clay soils are low on the PH scale as turf grass goes.

Yea, I read the entire statement. And your statement about the soil test as well. Not knocking your intentions just clarifieing that not all clay soils need lime. But you are correct that only a soil test will tell for sure whether lime is needed or not.

sildoc
06-27-2005, 06:35 PM
Yea, I read the entire statement. And your statement about the soil test as well. Not knocking your intentions just clarifieing that not all clay soils need lime. But you are correct that only a soil test will tell for sure whether lime is needed or not.

Thank you. In general I have found few Turf areas in my region that don't need lime. If I do it is usually after I take over from a quality LCO. I have done over 100 soil tests this year alone and out of those I had 7-9 come back not needing lime. Of the ones that do the min lbs per k has been 15. I have one that I need to place over 70 lbs per k over the next year. Of course I will retest 3 months after application on each application. Max on that would be 25 lbs per k in 3 apps. every 3-4 months.
But yes thank you for telling me that not all whites are white and all blues are blue and not sky blue, or purple or baby blue or you get my drift.