PDA

View Full Version : TIME SAVING TIPS FOR A SOLO PERSON

ron
02-28-2001, 10:28 PM
I HAVE JUST STARTED TIMING MY SELF DOING LAWN CARE MOW TRIM EDGE BLOW OFF SURFACES MY BEST TIME IS 28 MINUTES USING A SUPER Z 52 IN RIDER BP BLOWER ECHO WEEDWACKER ECHO STICK EDGER ON A 80X124 FT LOT IS THIS A GOOD TIME FOR THIS TYPE OF LOT IS THERE ANY GOOD TIME SAVING TIPS THAT I COULD USE TO BE MORE EFFECTIVE......

awm
02-28-2001, 10:41 PM
Not being cute or nothing.The best time savor for
me is to allow enough time to get it right the first
time.Its easy to put so much on yourself that you
rationalise about quality.I was once passing a lawn I DO
when my wife pointed out a poorly done yd.She said you
shouldnt have much trouble getting that yd.You guessed it
it was my yd.

ron
02-28-2001, 10:51 PM
OPS SORRY I JUST WANTED TO GET A FEW TIPS ON CUTTING MY TIMES ON THE JOB NOT CUTTING ANY CORNERS I ONLY WANT TO GET SOME GOOD POINTERS.........I AM DOING THIS SOLO AND NEED TO GET FASTER ON EACH SITE.....

turfcat75
02-28-2001, 10:55 PM
time saver: get a bigger mower and keep the blades sharp ,sharp blades let you you go faster with a good cut

Mark
02-28-2001, 10:57 PM
I agree i work at my own pace and i dont leave a yd untill ive done the best job i could. Not bragging but my work is very good and im proud to put my name on it. Thats why im in business not to be fast but to do the best i can. I would not want new carpet put in because it was put in very fast.Id want the guy to take the time and get it right. Ive seen some cutters do yrs in 7min. But the end result was not much to look at. Marks Mowing Service

Runner
02-28-2001, 11:16 PM
Carefully plan your trimming route out. Every yard has a starting point and a finish point. There is only one route that can be taken that is the shortest route. Plan it out, plan all your breakoff points (for trees and such) then get right back on your line. Every time you come in and do this yard, every move should be the same. Just like clockwork. THAT'S proficiency!

65hoss
03-01-2001, 01:01 AM
Your in FL, so the best thing for speed and motivation is getting out of the heat and humidity as soon as possible. Works great for me.

If you side discharge then double blades will help also. It will keep you from having to double cut anything due to appearance.

Take the trimmer guard off. This will speed your time up tremendously. I didn't believe it. Around Sept of last year I decided to try it. Was is surprised? It makes a big difference.

jeffyr
03-01-2001, 06:50 AM
One tip I picked up on here is always keeping an extra trimmer head wound up. Another, which is not always possible and shoold be common sense, is to plan the most efficient driving route.

jeffyr

bridges
03-01-2001, 08:21 AM
And what is the deal with taking the gaurd off the weed wacker?

accuratelawn
03-01-2001, 09:41 AM
The deal with the trimmer guard off is- the trimmer is alot lighter and you can also trim around objects while standing in one place, not walking a circle around the object. (tree or pole)

SummitFarmer
03-01-2001, 10:45 AM
I have to agree with Runner. I try to do my yards exactly the same every time. And the part about trimming the same way everytime is definately the right idea. You might try to develope a system that, even though it is you doing the work, would allow anyone to come in and do the same job. This may be important if you ever do hire someone else. That way they will know what you expect. Other than that just work at a pace that you get things done correctly without having to go back over them.

Mike Paulsen
03-01-2001, 02:29 PM
It depend on how deep you want to get into the time game. Every yard has it fastest route. Count your steps when trimming, going backwards counts for two.Don't leave the tree in the back to be trimmed around when you get all the rest of the trimming done. Do it when your closest to it.Mow with the least amount of turns and little over lap.If you have a hand blower then make it so you can carry it on the mower that way if you have to blow off something in the back you can do it when your back there and not walk to it when your done mowing.

ron
03-01-2001, 02:29 PM
Hey thanks for the cool tips,yes it will be a very hot summer this year heck it's been in the upper 80s

Strawbridge Lawn
03-01-2001, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the time. I have several 10K square foot lots and I was anticipating at an average pace about 40-45 minutes with a 52.

Mowman
03-01-2001, 08:52 PM
My average lawn is 15,000 sq.ft. I use a Walker MT-54 and I can cut trim and blow in 35-40 minutes. The fastest I have finished is 30 minutes. 40 minutes when I double cut. I like to double cut them to really bring out the CHECKERBOARD LOOK.
Hope this helps you.
Mowman

eggy
03-01-2001, 09:17 PM
maybe I read something wrong but I wouldnt do the lawns the same every time be sure to change patterns.....

Red_Rattler
03-01-2001, 09:24 PM
We do all our lawns the exact same way every time, every turn, every swipe is the same, and by mid summer we get awesome light to dark lines, the lawn gets use to being cut and layin down the same way every time, it even starts to grow that way.

Runner
03-01-2001, 11:54 PM
Eggy, we were talking about doing the trimming the same every time. In other words, walikng the same pattern. For mowing, I prefer alternating. I still keep nice stripes because we travel the same paths when we ARE cutting that direction, but when you alternate, it ensure all the grass is being cut even, especially if there happens to be any somewhat low spots- it does not just get pushed over.

John DiMartino
03-02-2001, 12:04 AM
Red rattler,if I do the lawn the same for more than 3 weeks, I start to get slight ruts in them,you can really feel them when cutting 90 degrees to the them,I alternate every other cut,at least.My stripes are awesome ,even when skipping a week in that direction.