PDA

View Full Version : question for ford truck owners

Groundcover Solutions
02-28-2001, 10:30 PM
okay, i bought some rotors for my 89 F-250, i tried to remove the old ones, i failed because i could not get the hub off. i took the knob and chrome peice off, but still could not figure out how to get the rotor off. i was told by a friend that there was a tool that did this. i would like to know what the tool is if there is one and how to use it? thanks for any replies.

jrodgers
02-28-2001, 11:30 PM
You might have better luck on the Ford Truck Forum....

Groundcover Solutions
02-28-2001, 11:40 PM
no one will answer it there either

slingshot
03-01-2001, 12:45 AM
if it is 4x4 it is a spanner wrench or socket

KirbysLawn
03-01-2001, 01:00 AM
Ask John DiMartino via PM, he may know.

BobbyBcuttin
03-01-2001, 09:21 AM
Matt there is a special socket that you have to have to get the hub off it's used to remove the workins in side your hub,goodluck Bobby

GrassMaster
03-01-2001, 11:04 AM
Hello Everybody:

Lets see now, from what I gather you have removed the Center cup with pliers & or Screw driver.

Make sure you remove the Master Cylinder Cover where you put in the brake fluid!

Then you pulled out cotter Pin, then removed the nut retainer, then you unscrewed the large nut that holds on the rotor.

Now all you have left to do is Carefully spread the Pads from the rotors just a little. Then remove the 2 allen head bolts from the back side on the top that holds the Calipers on to the spindle assembly, this is the thing that holds the pads on to the rotor.

Do not get any dirt on the pads or rotors, then you need to push the Piston in the calipers all the way in (I used a C-clamp to do this) so you can get the caliper assembly back on over the rotors with new pads on.

Please do not take my word for it, butt that should be close. I could have missed something, I could be wrong too!:-)

I am a Practing Mechanic & I can not be held liable for my errors. Yep I put a disclaimer in here just as your Doctor or Lawyer does.

Another thing & do not get me wrong :-) But if you do not know how to do this, you do not need to be doing the work to start with, unless it is your mother in laws truck & you do not like her? :-)

Brakes & the Steering on vehicles are very safety related. One mistake could hurt you for a lifetime!

Example:
Are you going to replace the Inner Bearing Seals, do you know the proper way to pack wheel bearings, do you know the proper way to tighten the nut back on the spindle that holds the rotor on, do you know where to put the Blue stuff on the Cyl Piston & on the shoes so it will not squeal when you put on brakes? Do you know how to check the Inner & outer bearings & Races for execcessive wear. If they have excessive wear do you know how to remove & replace the the Inner & outer bearing races the right way?

It takes all of the above & more to properly replace the Rotors & Pads safely on the front of your vehicle. In most cases half of this is not even done at a place that has so called Proffesionals doing it either!

I am not trying to be a jerk, just want to make sure nobody gets hurt! That is my only Concerne!

SWguy
03-01-2001, 02:59 PM
I had to do the same thing to my 96, but the question to be asked is, does it have 4X4 and do you have a Haynes Man for that year of the truck. This is for the reason that you need to get it back in same sequance, and that was a pain for me.

Tillman Lawn & Landscape
03-02-2001, 12:32 PM
Naba carrys the socket. I think its reverse thread on ore side or both. Did you get a new hardware kit with it? The slides and springs should be done at the same time!