PDA

View Full Version : Non OEM oil and air filters

HighGrass
06-18-2005, 10:08 PM
I have a 2 year old Exmark Lazer HP and was wondering about aftermarket filters like Wics(sp?) or Hastings. Has anyone done this? Also, any luck cross refrencing air filters?

topsites
06-20-2005, 02:32 AM
I have a 2 year old Exmark Lazer HP and was wondering about aftermarket filters like Wics(sp?) or Hastings. Has anyone done this? Also, any luck cross refrencing air filters?

Well it depends on your engine, I have a 15hp Kohler on my 30197 proline and they cost 9.99 at the stealer or you can get an aftermarket for 8.99

But what I did is I took the old oil filter to Advance Auto Parts and NO they can not (or will not) cross it for you, so what I did is walked over to where their filters are and patiently pulled out one after another and here's the trick:
First you can kinda tell by the box which sizes are definitely off so skip those.
Then make SURE the thread hole is the same. Way I did it is I stuck my finger down in the old one (slowly so you don't get it stuck) and then in the new one. It would stop right around my knuckle and (it's actually 3/8's) then you need to look real close and make sure the thread is the same.
Once you find the right size hole, put the filters against each other and make sure the rubber gasket is a close match (in most cases it doesn't have to be perfect but close would help).
That's how I found my AA-forgotnumber filter for my Kohler for $2.48
Air-filters, no not yet.

PLM-1
06-20-2005, 06:47 AM
Gotta watch out on Hastings filters. I've seen some ruined engines at the dealer from those. They don't seal well and sucks dirt straight into the engine...I'd spend the extra $1 and get OEM!

LawnScapers of Dayton
06-20-2005, 07:37 AM
NAPA will help you with the correct number for a filter......

jimslawns
06-20-2005, 02:04 PM
Napa gold filters are manufactered by wix, Napa will usually give a case discount, I think mine were less than $5 per filter!