PDA

View Full Version : B&S Help

RedRockTx
06-18-2005, 11:33 PM
I have an old Dayton Riding mower with an 11hp B&S engine, 5spd, electric. I adjusted the carburetor to 1 turn on the top idle screw and 1 1/2 on the top speed bowl screw. I then adjusted it and got it running good. The problem is when i hit some tough grass the engine boggs. I also can not put the engine at FULL throttle or it will die. What adjustments should i make? Should i run higher octane fuel? Any tips on makin the engine run the best it can?

Restrorob
06-19-2005, 07:51 AM
I have an old Dayton Riding mower with an 11hp B&S engine, 5spd, electric. I adjusted the carburetor to 1 turn on the top idle screw and 1 1/2 on the top speed bowl screw. I then adjusted it and got it running good. The problem is when i hit some tough grass the engine boggs. I also can not put the engine at FULL throttle or it will die. What adjustments should i make? Should i run higher octane fuel? Any tips on makin the engine run the best it can?

Open the low speed (top one) 1 1/2 turns, Open the high speed (bottom one) 2 turns. Start the engine up and put throttle on idle and adjust the (top) low speed until it runs the smoothest,Then run the throttle to wide open position and adjust (bottom) high speed until it runs the smoothest.
If it still boggs when high grass is encountered it probably has a worn governor gear. The gear is made onto a plate and the plate has a hole in it that slides onto the camshaft to hold it in place,In time this hole will wallow out and cause the gov. not to work properly thus a replacment necessary.