PDA

View Full Version : gator blades

Groundcover Solutions
03-01-2001, 12:16 AM
what is better about gator blades for my walkbehind than the regular blades?

Runner
03-01-2001, 12:22 AM
It depends on what you are using them for, actually. They just chop and mulch better. For just mowing, nothing is better about the gators unless they are used in conjunction with other blades. With single gators, from what I understand by several members' experience, the cut comes out a little rougher because of the lack of lift from the serrated foils.

Groundcover Solutions
03-01-2001, 12:37 AM
what do you mean "used in conjunction with other blades" i do not know very much about the gator blades. does this mean i use one gator blade and 2 normal. i don't bag very much.

plow kid
03-01-2001, 12:41 AM
he`s talking about a doubble blade setup, like a hi-lift blade on the bottom and a gator on top, 2 blades per spindle.

Groundcover Solutions
03-01-2001, 12:44 AM
i guess from reading some posts right now i have heard for the first time, doubling the blades. how do you butt them up to each other, paralel, perpendicular, upside down, right side up? i guess this is all new to me

plow kid
03-01-2001, 12:48 AM
from what i have heard eric say you are suposed to put a hi-lift on the bottom and a gator on the top in a + pattern and torque them down as hard as you can, i am going to try doing that this year

Groundcover Solutions
03-01-2001, 12:56 AM
all right thanks, only one more question though, is my blade that came with my mower likely to be a "high-lift blade"? or do i have to buy new ones?

Runner
03-01-2001, 01:11 AM
Hold on guys! Before you go run out and do this, do a little research on it first. Some mowers, that have cradles that hold the blades, you may not be able to do this with without modification. Also, it is recommended that you use a spindle bolt that is 1/4 inch longer than your original, as you will lose 1/4 inch thread penetration into your spindle due to the thickness of the second blade. Do a search on this subject and you will find plenty of questions and plenty of answers to help you see exactly what you need. If done improperly, this practice can be EXTREMELY dangerous! Deadly!

Eric ELM
03-01-2001, 01:17 AM
Home town, you have been a member this long and you have not heard of double blades? How do you think I got my nickname? Go to my website and read about double blades and also go to my search page and read about double blades on two spots. This is one of the most talked about subjects for the past year or more. There are hundreds of posts on double blades.

plow kid
03-01-2001, 01:22 AM
jacobsen spindles do not have a adapter on them

Runner
03-01-2001, 01:22 AM
Thanks, Eric! I didn't know you were on!

Groundcover Solutions
03-02-2001, 11:33 AM
just to let you know that there are two people that use the hometown member name thing. (This is Matt) I was the one to find the site and i have been on here for a while but kyle "the actual owner of the company is the other person that uses this screen name thing" The reason for that is because i was over at his house and was doing stuff on lawn site and it stored on his computer and now he just uses my name!!LOL.