PDA

View Full Version : How Much Lube

George777
03-01-2001, 08:04 AM
Just have to ask this question. My operators manual states to lube the spindles every day. I want to no how much grease. I've been putting enough grease in the spindle fitting until it comes out the small hole on the other side.

I've gone through a tube of grease every 2 days. I need some help. I don't want to damage the spindle bearings with to much of a good thing.

captdevo
03-01-2001, 08:21 AM
you could never have to much grease. put it in till you see it exit. Do Notuse pressurized grease guns, I have had to replace seals that have been blown out from high pressure. Make sure you wipe the zerts before greasing to keep from forcing dirt into the bearings.

geogunn
03-01-2001, 08:53 AM
I grease my 48 lesco's spindles every day that I use the machine. two handle pumps are usually enough to pop a little grease out the escape port.

GEO

awm
03-02-2001, 12:24 AM
GEORGE I believe id just put in a tube every two wks.
One good thing about a lot of grease is that it
flushes out unwanted grit etc

plow kid
03-02-2001, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by captdevo
Do Notuse pressurized grease guns

Aren`t all grease guns just a High Pressure fluid pump?

captdevo
03-02-2001, 07:35 AM
I had one machine come in and the spindle seals were blown out. I asked what happened and they told me they used an air luber and their regulator was bad. it blasted 100+ psi all at once. Minor fix, but it can happen.

TJLC
03-02-2001, 08:40 AM
I thought I read somewhere on here not to overfill your spindles with grease. Put just a certain amount of pumps in. For other fittings it is ok to overfill. Any thoughts on this?

turfquip
03-02-2001, 08:45 AM
I always found two or three pumps per spindle each morning is sufficient. In ten years of mowing running three walk behinds at all times(small potatoes I know) I never had to replace a set of spindles.

If you squeeze slowly and try to guage the resistance you can usually tell when the spindle housing returns to full...you'll feel a very slight increase in resistance.

Usually no need to pump beyond that point.

awm
03-02-2001, 08:59 AM
TGLC The seal problem is why some dont put
in to much.Grease wont hurt unless its under pressure
somehow.

Eric ELM
03-02-2001, 09:27 AM
I would say it depends on which brand of machine you have. I read here that Exmarks older machines that had grease fittings said do not put in to much grease or it would blow the seals.

Dixie Chopper recommends filling the spindle housings until grease comes out the top or bottom. If you do not fill the housing until it comes out, you may not be getting grease up to the top bearings, which ends up in bearing failure. This also pushes out moisture.

I have also heard that on a Chopper, they have a sealed bearing inside the housing so how can this help. They have a grove in them so grease can get into the bearings, if filled up til grease comes out the top or bottom of the spindle. It will not push out of the bottom unless it is full and you can normally hear it come out. I hope this helps.

bob
03-02-2001, 09:37 AM
Grasshopper recommends graesing the spindles every 40 hours. This seem too long for me. I do it sooner than that. Also Grasshopper states that too much grease can damage the spindles.