PDA

View Full Version : Flyer response rate

Scraper
03-01-2001, 09:04 AM
Seeing as everyone is getting ready to start putting out flyers or in some cases may already have put them out. I though it wouldd be kind of cool to see a response/call percentage (i.e. 100 flyers and 10 calls = 10% response rate) Out of that percentage, how many turned into customers. Of course the second percentage would also have variables such as "sales pitch", but it might be interesting to see percentages. We can spin this any way we want, just need hard data.

Maybe we could do the same with "pennysaver" ads (i.e. local weekly paper) for those who do that.

I do nott know how to set up those surveys like Kirby, but maybe Kirby could help us with this? KIRBY??? ;)

Everyone is always talking about which is the most effective advertising...well maybe these numbers might help someone decide between a yellow pages ad and handing out flyers. Big companies pay for this type of information. Just a thought.

[Edited by Scraper on 03-01-2001 at 01:23 PM]

Scape Sculptor
03-01-2001, 09:49 AM
Scraper, I am keeping that kind of data...I will have to let you know later in the season.

All I can tell you now is. If you haven't started putting flyers out yet, get them out now. The people are ready to book. I have been putting them out for 2 weeks now, and I have written over $30,000 in estimates and have $21,000 in new business sold in those last 2 weeks. Plus I have 5-6 more estimates to write up yet this week.

I must have put out at least 1,000 flyers so far. I even have got a couple of people booked that had saved a flyer from last year.

Not bad for a $40 cash expence and a little time.

I get most of my work from flyers. Had a yellow pages ad and got nothing but sales telemarketers call me. That cost $1,100. for nothing gained.

Scraper
03-01-2001, 02:03 PM
I wasn't asking for it personally, but thought it'd be a little Lawnsite marketing research assignment. ;)

Island Lawn
03-01-2001, 03:42 PM
As I understand it, 2%-3% response is the standard. But I'm selective about where I put flyers and put a bit more work into them than most of my comp.
I don't have the data compiled, but I bet I get from 5%-8% if not more. Other than word of mouth, name on truck, and business cards, flyers are all I do for advertising.

Scraper
03-01-2001, 04:21 PM
so where's the numbers, hard data? that's what we need

100 flyers - how many calls from them?

not just off the cuff

Guess it's too much to ask

tpirobert
03-01-2001, 09:35 PM
Here is my flyer data so far:

1000 flyers mailed or hand deliverd in past 2 weeks.

6 calls ( or email )
4 new customers

I try to weed out the calls before going out for estimate. My closure rate on sales calls is pretty good. Expect 1-4% calls based on flyers put out.

lawnguy ny
03-01-2001, 10:27 PM
this site is the best. i now know there our others that are as crazy about this buz as i am.as for the survey goes i put out 2000 post cards last week an got 3 calls and 3 new customers AND IT IS STILL SNOWING EVERY DAY IN UPSTATE N Y THINK SPRING .TELL ME IT IS COMING SOOOOON.

Scape Sculptor
03-01-2001, 11:50 PM
My data so far...

1000 flyers mailed or by hand...

19 calls or e-mails
6 new customers so far

calls are still coming in every day.

landscaper3
03-02-2001, 12:04 AM
Last year only sent out 500 flyers got 25 accounts from that 500 count. This year we are targeting pacific areas and will distrbute 2500 Door hangers this year and get approx return will be around 75 to 100 new customers or mabey up to 150 we will see. Our average flyers over the past 2 years are 25% return and 15% return to specific targeted areas and 3% to 5% for general hand outs!!

KirbysLawn
03-02-2001, 01:11 AM
I put out 600 over the last week, so far 3 calls & 3 new customers. Have another 400 to put out this weekend.

Scraper, let me know what data you want to get (questions) and I will be happy to make a survey. I'm not feeling very creative tonight, put out 50 bales of pineneedles, trimmed big shrubs, & played 18 holes today...I'm tired. :D

Ray

[Edited by KirbysLawn on 03-02-2001 at 05:18 AM]

Jason Pallas
03-02-2001, 10:14 AM
For the past 4 years, we've done a flyer insert with a local newspaper that is distributed door to door on a monthly basis. Usually we do 21,000 flyers. It's hard to get a response rate because the calls keep coming in on these flyers for - literally years. But, I would say the immediate response rate is defintely less than 1% - remember that's 210 customers! Our closure rate on estimates is about 95% - we weed out a lot of bad customers on the phone and refer them on to other companies. We advertise in a very exclusive area - so even just a few new customers will pay for the ad costs.
I would expect that door hangers and stand alone flyers would probably get a little higher response rate (we've done those too - long ago) but I would say anything over 5% response is really (unexpectedly) good.