PDA

View Full Version : HELP! With B&S I/C engine assembly

eruuska
06-21-2005, 01:03 PM
Hey everyone,

My 18hp Briggs I/C engine blew a sump gasket, and being the handy type I decided to fix it myself. Got the engine off okay, unbolted the lower case, and when the two pieces came apart, a couple pieces came out and I didn't see where they came from. One is a little gear with what looks like 2 hinged arms on it. I'm pretty sure it sits on a shaft on the lower case and interfaces with a larger gear in the upper half. Then there is a little sleeve-looking thing that looks like it fits inside the 2 arms, and also slides onto the same shaft as the little gear with 2 arms.

I've got lawns to mow and I've got to get this back together! Thanks in advance for the help!

Restrorob
06-21-2005, 06:27 PM
Hey everyone,

My 18hp Briggs I/C engine blew a sump gasket, and being the handy type I decided to fix it myself. Got the engine off okay, unbolted the lower case, and when the two pieces came apart, a couple pieces came out and I didn't see where they came from. One is a little gear with what looks like 2 hinged arms on it. I'm pretty sure it sits on a shaft on the lower case and interfaces with a larger gear in the upper half. Then there is a little sleeve-looking thing that looks like it fits inside the 2 arms, and also slides onto the same shaft as the little gear with 2 arms.

I've got lawns to mow and I've got to get this back together! Thanks in advance for the help!

This piece that fell out is the governor gear, And the sleeve looking thing goes in the center as you said. On the lower case there should be a small shaft sticking up the same size as the hole in the center of the gov. gear. Install this gov. gear back down on the shaft holding the center sleeve in place between the arms and reinstall the case. Before you install the gear put a good gob of any type grease on the bottom of the gear where it rides on the case as to help it stay in place while assembling.
BTW The torque on the sump bolts is 225 inch lbs.